MR36 connection issue

rzabayli
Conversationalist

MR36 connection issue

Hi, dear community users!

We have faced an issue with brand new MR36 access points.

Years before for our company we purchased MR33 access points and they are working properly all the time, still using them in our branches.

Month ago we have purchased several MR36 ACs and configured them as previous models. 

But sometimes wireless network disappears for a few seconds. It is a repeating process, like every 2-3 minutes.

ACs are connected to also new Cisco switches (C100FE-48P-4G-L). ACs are using PoE, not a Power Adapter.

This problem is actual right now in 3 branches. Same switch, same MR36 AC.

We can see nothing strange from monitoring in Meraki dashboard.

Maybe there is someone who faced the same problem? Or could it be caused by not proper PoE?

Thank You in advance.

12 Replies 12
rzabayli
Conversationalist

Screenshot 2024-05-22 151349.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-22 151437.jpg

rzabayli
Conversationalist

At first we thought this was caused by our DHCP, but MR36 looks more like rebooting intervally. 

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would suggest you open a Meraki support case to see why the devices are booting.  This should not be happening?

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Also, please make sure you are running a Stable or Release Candidate image:

Stable right now: Version 30.6

rzabayli
Conversationalist

I will check it, thanks!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does it give a boot reason in the event log?

rzabayli
Conversationalist

Last week we have upgraded one MR36 access point to 30.6 firmware and the issue has been resolved.

However, today we asked Meraki Support to update 2 APs (also MR36 model) more, and this time it doesn't help. 

We tried to test one MR36 in Head Office (all problematic APs are connected in our branches) and it works properly, without reboot and etc. Is there any requirements for switch's port, where we are connecting AP? Maybe MTU size or something else? As I mentioned, MR33 APs are working without an issue.

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Check with support to make sure that the MR36s all have downloaded correctly the MR30.6 version, sometimes this does not happen correctly.

Also, why don´t you upgrade the whole network, not just certain devices to MR30.6.  MR30.6 is the current stable image and it works great with MR33s and MR36s, you should strive to have your network in the latest stable image or close to it.  Upgrading only certain units in a network is allowed for troubleshooting purposes but this is not intended or recommended to be done for normal operation.

rzabayli
Conversationalist

@Purroy we wanted to see if our issue will be resolved via firmware, that's why we asked for "per device" update.

rzabayli
Conversationalist

Screenshot 2024-05-27 155708.jpg

rzabayli
Conversationalist

That is what shows in Event log.

I did a research and everyone keep saying that is a physical issue.

But we have tried several Ethernet cables and tried to change Switch's port.

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Sure, that is exactly why this is done by support. As you mentioned this had good results on your first AP, I suspect the APs that were added to this version later on have not yet downloaded the correct image.  Support can confirm this.

Like you said if this is fixed in the firmware upgrade then you should move the whole network to the MR30.6 or current stable version at the time.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels