Extending a network (wireless bridge - vlans)

nbari
New here

Extending a network (wireless bridge - vlans)

What hardware/model can be used to extend a network and support multiple VLANs via wireless, my current setup looks something like this:

wireless bridge.png

I already have the layer 2 switches and router just need the access point to make the wireless bridge, I tried already with Ubiquiti but it didn't work.  I found this article which makes me think it is possible: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireles... 

Basically, I want to have a layer 2 switch connected to the main network via wireless,  so that the computers connected to the switch can use the LAN and the VLANs, a powerline works but I am getting < 300mbps, with normal basic AP I get ~ 2.5GB but I only see the LAN not VLANS, and in my case I need both.

Any advice on what equipment would support this scenario?

14 Replies 14
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any Meraki access point support it.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

One more thing to add.

Wireless bridges running version 27.X or below only support a single VLAN. If support for multiple subnets is a requirement for the deployment, a layer 3-capable device will be required. MR repeaters will only send/receive untagged traffic on its wired interface regardless of the configuration of the SSID in use.

Starting 28.1, Multi-vlan support was added.

By extension, wired clients across the mesh link do not support the use of VLANs applied by Group Policies

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hi, so basically I could just get 2 Meraki AP preferably >= 28.1 and that could help me to read from the remote PC the default LAN and VLAN 20

router -->l2 switch --> (Meraki AP) <~~~> (Meraki AP) --> L2 switch --> (PC can access LAN & VLAN 20) 

Any model/family? how to find if is using > 28.1

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Managing_Firmware_Upgrades

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Deployment_Guides/Mesh_Deployment_Guide

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Any Meraki AP can do this.

However, if you're more into staying within your current vendor, you'd might want to look into Ubiquity's Service Provider line such as LTU or AirMax, or simply just their Building Bridge. For more questions on Ubiquity, you'd might want to consult their own Discussion Forum, though.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Hi, after weeks of trying with Ubiquiti they confirm that this topology is not supported, they only can bridge default LAN but not VLANS, everything from their AP in bridge mode is untagged.

How Meraki AP handle this? uses another technology/radio to bridge in order to support LAN/VLANS ?  

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What difference does? I believe you just need it to work.

Agree, but I am just curious because spend a lot of time with Ubiquiti and couldn't make it work.

Just to be sure, I don't want to provide internet via WIFI, I only want to bridge a layer 2 switch (Ubiquiti US-8) via wireless so that all the computers that I connect on this "remote" switch can connect to the default LAN and at the same time to the VLANs (Ubiquiti US-XG-6), I already have wifi using the Unifi U6 and just need the Meraki AP to work as a bridge.

This is something if I am understanding works out of the box with Meraki AP version > 28.1 correct? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Refer the documentation.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireles...

From the documentation:

Multi-VLAN support over Mesh 

Cisco Meraki APs will allow traffic from multiple VLANs over Mesh links. This feature can be enabled by calling in our support team. There are a couple of conditions that need to be met in order to support this functionality

If I buy the AP can't I just enable this without calling the support team? or this work based on any sort of licensing?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to ask for Meraki team. Good luck🍀

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have used Cisco Mobility Express in the past for forwarding multiple VLAN's since Meraki did not support it back then.

I have also done this with a Cisco C9800 controller but not yet on an Embedded Wireless Controller setup.
I haven't needed to create one via Meraki yet but there are a few caveats if the rest of your network would also be Meraki.

nbari
New here

I have been searching more on the topic and I think this can be done if 802.11.s / BATMAN is supported, wondering if Meraki is doing this? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

BATMAN is a variation of mesh (802.11s), I don't understand why you want to use that if what you are asking is supported by Meraki?

Why don't you just take a test? Or better yet, consult a Meraki sales representative, he will certainly be able to help you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels