Dormant vs Offline?

lloydz
Here to help

Dormant vs Offline?

We manage over a thousand MR36 APs across multiple networks.  One of the ways (I thought) to see if an AP is down is by checking the Access Points webpage for each network and looking at the "offline" button at the very top. 

Imagine my surprise when I just happened to scroll through the list of APs and saw one that was "dormant" and had been offline for a few months.  Upon further investigation, I found several APs that were in this same state across multiple networks but nothing was considered "offline" in the network

Is this the intended behavior?  What good is the Offline indicator if it doesn't count devices that are offline?

Screenshot.png

5 Replies 5
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi

Dormant = Offline for more than 7 days or these APs were never able to reach the Cloud.

So why would they not be counted in the offline indicator at the top?  I have one that hasn't been reachable for over a year and it still shows as dormant but there's nothing offline in the indicator.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That page is missing the 'dormant' filter.

Many other pages Offline also includes Dormant.  ( Org-> Overview -> Devices , filter on Offline )

Org -> Summary , also has a seperate filter between dormant and offline.

RomanMD
Building a reputation

In a normal situation it is supposed that if an AP goes offline it will be investigated right away or in a short period of time. However, if no action was taken during a longer offline period, it might very likely that AP was disconnected intentionally and it will be removed from the Alerts, so that one ca really focus on the rest of the network.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The information has been provided above but for reference, the following doc outlines the difference status icons and their meanings.

Status Icon Meanings - Cisco Meraki Documentation

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels