Does MR42, MR53, MR53E, MR56, MR74 and MR84 Support WPA3 Transition Mode or WPA3 Mode?

sray
Conversationalist

Does MR42, MR53, MR53E, MR56, MR74 and MR84 Support WPA3 Transition Mode or WPA3 Mode?

Hi,

Does MR42, MR53, MR53E, MR56, MR74 and MR84 Support WPA3 Transition Mode or WPA3 Mode? I am looking into implementing "WPA3 Transition mode" and "WPA3 only mode" on two different of my SSIDs to support various Wireless device in our environment.

We have gotten rid of many old legacy outdated devices in our environment, we have been doing some wireless enabled device referesh plans (Laptops, Chromebooks, iPads and etc.....), was contemplating on implementing WPA3 Transition mode on one of the SSIDs that connect the above devices that current (802.11ac) and newer generation (802.11ax).

The MR42, MR53, MR53E, MR74 and MR84 are Wifi 802.11AC Wave 2 Wireless APs and someone back in 2019 Posted about  WPA3 related question back in 2019 Link: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless/WPA3-on-existing-MRs/m-p/69135 . In the same thread someone posted the link: https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/03/wi-fi-standards-on-the-move-again/ . I have not seen anything new related to the above models. 

Note: Currently running MR30.7 firmware on all MRs on all our dashboard networks.

And if someone has implemented the WPA3 Transition mode and WPA3 mode only, have you all seen or noticed any issues with migration and etc...?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Friends don't let friends use transition mode. 😉

Purroy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I must agree, I particularly do not like transition mode.  

The answer to your question:

- All of the MRs that you mention support WPA3 and WPA3 transition mode in SSIDs with Preshared Key, Passphrase or WPA3-SAE (however you want to call just having a fix password for the SSID).  This is supported since version MR27.

- For transition mode with 802.1x (radius) based authentication SSID you need to have MRs that are capable of running version MR31.1.1 or above.  These are 802.11ax MRs so out of your original list only MR56 is capable of running this version.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels