Client IP assignment SSID

Solved
athan1234
Building a reputation

Client IP assignment SSID

Dear all:

I need someone to explain this Client IP assignment L3 Romin to me.
I had a meraki migration before I copied the same SSID option L3 roaming, my clients stopped working they have internet access but they dont acces to internal resource from different vlan of the same meraki . When I changed from L3 roamin to local lan they begun to work and reach the internal server . Why do this behavor

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Large WLAN networks (for example, those found on large campuses) may require IP session roaming at layer 3 to enable application and session persistence while a mobile client roams across multiple VLANs. For example, when a user on a VoIP call roams between APs on different VLANs without layer 3 roaming, the user's session will be interrupted as the external server must re-establish communication with the client's new IP address. During this time, a VoIP call will noticeably drop for several seconds, providing a degraded user experience. In smaller networks, it may be possible to configure a flat network by placing all APs on the same VLAN.

However, on large networks filled with thousands of devices, configuring a flat architecture with a single native VLAN may be an undesirable network topology from a best practices perspective; it may also be challenging to configure legacy setups to conform to this architecture. A turnkey solution designed to enable seamless roaming across VLANs is therefore highly desirable when configuring a complex campus topology. Using Meraki's secure auto-tunneling technology, layer 3 roaming can be enabled using a mobility concentrator, allowing for bridging across multiple VLANs in a seamless and scalable fashion.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Large WLAN networks (for example, those found on large campuses) may require IP session roaming at layer 3 to enable application and session persistence while a mobile client roams across multiple VLANs. For example, when a user on a VoIP call roams between APs on different VLANs without layer 3 roaming, the user's session will be interrupted as the external server must re-establish communication with the client's new IP address. During this time, a VoIP call will noticeably drop for several seconds, providing a degraded user experience. In smaller networks, it may be possible to configure a flat network by placing all APs on the same VLAN.

However, on large networks filled with thousands of devices, configuring a flat architecture with a single native VLAN may be an undesirable network topology from a best practices perspective; it may also be challenging to configure legacy setups to conform to this architecture. A turnkey solution designed to enable seamless roaming across VLANs is therefore highly desirable when configuring a complex campus topology. Using Meraki's secure auto-tunneling technology, layer 3 roaming can be enabled using a mobility concentrator, allowing for bridging across multiple VLANs in a seamless and scalable fashion.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also check on Firewall page configuration if the Local Lan is configured to allow access.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MR_Firewall_Rules

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want you can read It by yourself.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels