Channel bonding : strange behavior

MarcelTempelman
Getting noticed

Channel bonding : strange behavior

Hi,

when I was playing with the new AP Neighbor option I saw that AutoRF makes strange choices when it comes to channel planning:

We're mostly using 40Mhz channels on 5Ghz and what I see is:

- Some channels have the lower channel as primary channel, others have the upper channel as primary

- AutoRF does not avoid overlap : I see often secondary channels overlapping due to this

- AutoRF thinks that Channel 64/100 is also a perfect pair (have never seen this before with other vendors).

Although this might technically all work fine (have had no complaints) but I'd like to see a bit more predictability (

In critical environments I opt for a static channel plan) : so no overlap and being able what to use as primary channel.

MarcelTempelman_0-1702889933563.png

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a similar odd choice for an 80MHz channel:

cmr_0-1702915988518.png

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ouch that does not seem to be a good behavior for the algorithm ;).
It is imperative that you don't mix your primary channels since that will cause alot of collisions.  Usually I keep the primary channel as the lowest one.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

You definitely shouldn’t be bonding over channel 64/100… 

I’m conflicted over primary/secondary - I can see an argument for both ways. My personal view has been that if you get enough traffic for it to become an issue you should be using 20 MHz wide channels any way. 

In 6 GHz they better not mix the primary channels up… that will irk me!

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels