Apple iPads intermittently fails to Auto-Join SSID

Stangr
Conversationalist

Apple iPads intermittently fails to Auto-Join SSID

We have a open SSID w/Radius setup on our MR46 APs

We are using Radius w/Group Policies to drop these devices into the appropriate Vlan on our network

All of the devices are set to Auto-join this SSID.

We're are using Apple iPads and Chromebooks which normally work as expected.

They Auto-join, Associate, Authenticate and get an IP address from our DHCP server.

Intermittently they fail to Auto-join the SSID

There's no evidence of the device trying to associate, it's as if something is blocking the attempt or no attempt is being made.

The Meraki APs are up to date on their firmware and the iPads & Chromebooks are up to date on their OS.

These are the things I've tried:

Turn off Bluetooth forwarding

Turn off Band steering on the SSID

Air Marshal was mentioned in my internet research, but pertained to older APs w/o a scanning radio our have those.

on the device

Turn off Private Wifi address

Turn off limit IP address tracking

When these devices fail to connect, they will manually connect.

So the issue is they will intermittently fail to Auto-Join the SSID and so require manual intervention.

We are a pre-k - 12th grade school and our younger students are the biggest concern for us.

This can be very disrupted to the class as a whole...

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks!

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The device itself chooses which network to connect to.

I don't see a problem on Meraki's side.

Have you updated iPads yet?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Also check the power management settings of the wireless adapter. Some devices are set to turn off the wireless adapter to save power, which can cause connectivity issues.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I'm not familiar with any power management settings on the wifi for the iPad or Chromebook.

Could you elaborate more on these settings?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To turn Low Power Mode on or off, go to Settings > Battery

Thanks, we already had Low Power Mode turned off on these devices!

The iPads are configured to Auto-Join a certain SSID so the problem is it intermittently doesn't

Yes the iPad are up to date...

Thanks!

thaack
Getting noticed

Do the iPad's have a cell chip? If so - try turning off WiFi assist. 

Stangr
Conversationalist

These models are all without cell service.

Thanks for the reply though!

thaack
Getting noticed

I'm assuming you are using RADIUS as you are a K-12 school. Do you have a session timeout or reauth period configured?

Stangr
Conversationalist

We are using MS Network Policy Server as our Radius Server, specifically the Network Policies section.

There are no timeouts configured.

The problem does not seem to be related to acquiring an IP address.

The devices will most of the time Auto-join and acquire an IP address just fine.

The problem come down to the fact that the devices intermittently seem to NOT be associating with the AP and therefore never make/log a DHCP request.

Manually joining the device to the SSID will join the device to the network as normal.

That device will then Auto-Join thereafter as expected.

It may then fail intermittently again afterwards

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels