Access Points Offline During Network Outage

ProkopWilliam
Here to help

Access Points Offline During Network Outage

A couple points as a preface. I don't have as much experience with Meraki before I took the role I am currently in. My previous experience was using Meraki as an MDM for iPads at various schools in my state when I worked for a previous MSP. We also have the less than reliable Cox for our ISP. Random network outages occur frequent enough that this is a issue I hope someone might have an idea on how to fix.

As this is a place of business, having access to our fileserver during a network outage is something we would like to have. Any wired connections are perfectly fine to access our servers. Be it, QuickBooks or FileMaker Pro or Quantum. No issues at all. But our wireless clients (trying to push out all PC and replace with laptops over time) have no such access. Access points lose all network connection with fileserver or any of the virtual servers we have on location. Nothing cloud (save for Meraki) and all on premise.

Mainly what we need a hand with, or even a hint of where to look, is how to have our APs to continue having network access to our servers without having ISP network connectivity. 

Also, wasn't sure if this should be in Wireless or Switching. As I assume this would be a wireless setting and not something on the switch, but I could be wrong.

12 Replies 12
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ! 

During the outage , can you confirm if the SSID is still visible ( broadcasted ) ?

They stop broadcasting the SSID

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What models and firmware version are you using?  Is the authentication in the cloud or is it PSK?

Three different versions of AP. Some are older as they don't like to spend much on IT.

MR32 - 26.8.3 EOL, I know

MR33 - 30.5

MR43 - 30.5

MR43 - 30.5

PSK for authentication on all SSIDs

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For the MR43s, do you mean MR34 or MR42 as there isn't an MR43.  

Either way, PSK shouldn't do that, are the SSIDs bridge mode?  If the SSIDs aren't broadcasting it is as though they have rebooted, what switch models are they connected to?

Yes. 42. Freudian slip as I was typing 3 a lot for the first two APs.

The APs are not in bridge mode. I just checked to verify. 

MS225-48LP

MS250-48

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apologies, I meant the SSID being in bridge mode, is it in NAT mode?

Not in NAT mode. We have an MX performing DHCP

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do all the APs stop broadcasting the SSID? 

Are the wired clients that continue to work connected to the same switches as the APs?

Are the wireless clients in the same VLAN as the wired clients?

Lastly, I'd try at least 30.7 as 30.5 isn't supported any more and 30.7 has this fix:

• Failure of DNS test results in no connectivity
ProkopWilliam
Here to help

All APs stop broadcasting during outage.

Wired are connected to same switch. There might be dumb switches in between, depending on area of the building. But end up going to the same two switches.

Wireless are on VLAN 10 which is just a tunnel to our MX.

Wired are on VLAN 1.

I am not as good with networking as I am with system maintenance. But, from what I see, my predecessor just used the default profile. Either that or I can't find where the VLAN configuration page is located. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Having looked into it a bit more, I'm 99% sure that the bug in 30.5 is causing your issue.  Upgrade to 30.7 ASAP and hopefully it fixes it.

I will give that a go next time I have time for maintenance. Thanks for the advice. I will respond back if it works or not.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels