VOIP + MG41 connectivity

Solved
EliseNemeth
Getting noticed

VOIP + MG41 connectivity

Hello, 

Could the MG41 be used as primary connectivity for VOIP if the customer has a non-Meraki POE switch and non-Meraki firewall? I believe it can but I wanted to confirm.

1 Accepted Solution
a5it
Getting noticed

Yes, you can use the Meraki MG41 as the primary connectivity for your VoIP system, even if you're using a non-Meraki PoE switch and a non-Meraki firewall.

The Meraki MG41 is a cellular gateway designed to provide primary or failover cellular connectivity. It's not dependent on the brand of the PoE switch or firewall in use, as its main purpose is to facilitate the internet connection through a cellular network.

Your VoIP system would connect to the network as usual, with the MG41 providing internet connectivity. The PoE switch would supply power and network connection to your VoIP devices, and the firewall would manage network security as usual.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
a5it
Getting noticed

Yes, you can use the Meraki MG41 as the primary connectivity for your VoIP system, even if you're using a non-Meraki PoE switch and a non-Meraki firewall.

The Meraki MG41 is a cellular gateway designed to provide primary or failover cellular connectivity. It's not dependent on the brand of the PoE switch or firewall in use, as its main purpose is to facilitate the internet connection through a cellular network.

Your VoIP system would connect to the network as usual, with the MG41 providing internet connectivity. The PoE switch would supply power and network connection to your VoIP devices, and the firewall would manage network security as usual.

javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Great answer, I want to add a little bit more. It is crucial to do some capacity planning and understand what kind of performance cellular will deliver in your area.  If you are talking about supporting 500 active video calls at 1080p at H264, we will likely have capacity and performance issues. Something to consider, it will work, but as with everything, there are considerations!

That makes sense, appreciate the color.

EliseNemeth
Getting noticed

thank you 🙂

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@EliseNemeth please note that you will either need to provide power for the MG from a PoE WAN port on the firewall or the optional power supply MA-PWR-30WAC.  It is possible to use PoE from a switch, but I would not recommend using a LAN switch for this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.