cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do i bother using your service??!!!!

New here

why do i bother using your service??!!!!

Why in the heck am I paying for your dang service if you can't restore our configurations from a backup?? What in the heck type of company are you running? You loose our data because someone did an update and you CANT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP!!!???   WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!  

12 REPLIES
Building a reputation

Re: why do i bother using your service??!!!!

Johm wrote:

Why in the heck am I paying for your dang service if you can't restore our configurations from a backup?? What in the heck type of company are you running? You loose our data because someone did an update and you CANT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP!!!???   WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!  

We take screenshots of our config - we always have from the beginning just in case something like this happened.

I agree with @BHC_RESORTS, taking screenshots of the config, while an extra step for the end user, is something that is necessary in case things like this happen. This is a limitation that is up to YOU to mitigate. Should Meraki be able to fix this? Yes. Should you be prepared to fix your equipment in the event something catastrophic happens and Meraki is unable to restore your config, so you fix it by referring to your documentation that you have had from the start? Also Yes.

New here

I am a little late to this thread, but I did not believe the data loss was configurations but only uploaded customer items.  While I had to replace floor plans, splash pages, and other "customized" items, my SSID's, PSK's, routes, etc, never had a problem.  I would love a console "level" configuration file but the use of templates makes that something of a throwback.  Anyway, it was a frustrating experience to have to redo work and I agree it should have been handled better by Meraki, but I am not sure what you are complaining about is relevant.  I am sorry if I am wrong, but again, the loss was never presented as impacting configurations.

New here

Look,  I have a set of standards I expect a company we are doing business with to met. You are entitled to have your own set of standards. If mine are higher so be it.  I'm not going to debate the merits of paying for cloud services and what my expectations should or shouldn't be.  

Anyways, thanks for all of your suggestions.

Building a reputation

Johm wrote:

Look,  I have a set of standards I expect a company we are doing business with to met. You are entitled to have your own set of standards. If mine are higher so be it.  I'm not going to debate the merits of paying for cloud services and what my expectations should or shouldn't be.  

Anyways, thanks for all of your suggestions.

We take multiple backups of our configurations even for non cloud based products. We don't use any Meraki switching products - yet we keep both a config backup and a text dump of the config for all our Procurves. Backups should be in your hands, not a vendors.

BHC_RESORTS wrote:

Backups should be in your hands, not a vendors.

@BHC_RESORTS once again couldn't agree with you more. You hit the mark!

@Johm this is not about having higher standards than someone else. This is about understanding the limitation of the product you're using. When we were demoing Meraki, this limitation was clearly explained to us. At that point we could have not gone with Meraki or adapt to the limitation and find a work around until it was resolved. Yes it is frustrating, but to blame Meraki for not having your backup is ridiculous.

Many would agree with you that there does need to be some sort of way to restore the config, but until that is an option, it is up to YOU. Even if and when this becomes an option, I would tell you right now that you need to have a local copy of your configuration. What happens if that cloud backup goes missing? How are you going to recover if you are slowly relying on that cloud backup.

This is not me being a Meraki fan boy, this is a fellow tech talking to you. I hope you learn something from this experience and that it serves as a "take it from me experience" for other people on the forum. If you don't know what the 3-2-1 Backup Strategy is, I strongly recommend learning and implementing it. 

New here

Other than screen shots, I guess we don't have any other means of backing up Meraki configs as such?

Building a reputation

Not that I know of.

It would be good to have some XML export / import facility, but any updates are from the recommendations of the community.

Thank you,
Peter James

Here to help

What devices are you using? Is this even Meraki related? All Meraki configurations are stored on the Meraki cloud. It's pretty hard to lose it unless you delete all configurations from your devices.

Building a reputation

Fruju wrote:

What devices are you using? Is this even Meraki related? All Meraki configurations are stored on the Meraki cloud. It's pretty hard to lose it unless you delete all configurations from your devices.

Except for the large service disruption recently which caused a lot of information to be lost.

Bugger. Had no idea that had occurred. Which regions got hit?

Building a reputation

I would highly recommend subscribing to the Meraki Blog.

This occurred 3rd August and was sent out in the blog email on 24th August. 

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2017/08/mea-culpa-and-what-happens-next/

To answer your question, it comes from the second paragraph...

"Earlier this month, we accidentally deleted customer-uploaded data for some of our North American users. This included floor-plan, splash page, and voice assets, but didn’t affect network operation or analytics. At Meraki we care deeply about this failure and the extra work and concern this created for our users. I’m proud of the work the team has done to accurately and quickly notify users, to recover all data possible, and to make this incident as much of a non-event for our user base as possible…  and now as the work to ensure this could never happen again begins, we have time to reflect on the incident response, methodology and philosophy."

Thank you,
Peter James