cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

Here to help

is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

I have a mixture of about 35 MR42s and MR52s rolled out across a couple buildings.  I manage them remotely.  These things pretty much take care of themselves and have been great.  However when wifi users run into problems, they are usually very tough to pinpoint a cause...the symptoms are transient but usually narrow down signal issues.

Is there a tool I can use (remotely) that can tell me "ok yeah, that area right there...there's interference, signal loss etc." or even something in the event logs that may indicate a weak signal, interference.

thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Kind of a big deal

Re: is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

A good quick indicator is:

Wireless/Spectrum

If shows you how much of the RF bandwidth is consumed.

It's common to have issues in the 2.4Ghz spectrum these days.

Highlighted
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Re: is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

To be totally honest the definitive way is to do a Site Survey that includes a Spectrum analyzer. And even while this is very useful when it comes to intermittent interference (i.e. an engine in a warehouse that only works for 20 minutes a day), it can be very difficult to pinpoint if the issue is related to interference.

As it was pointed before, if you go to Wireless > RF spectrum you can see the actual RF surrounding the AP.

It is also very helpful if you go to Wireless > Access Points and click on the RF tab, where you will see a log that includes channel utilization, clients, usage and most important of all, events, over a period of up to 1 month.

Leo Gomez
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.