is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

wifisyfy
Here to help

is there a definitive way to determine a problem is interference or not?

I have a mixture of about 35 MR42s and MR52s rolled out across a couple buildings.  I manage them remotely.  These things pretty much take care of themselves and have been great.  However when wifi users run into problems, they are usually very tough to pinpoint a cause...the symptoms are transient but usually narrow down signal issues.

Is there a tool I can use (remotely) that can tell me "ok yeah, that area right there...there's interference, signal loss etc." or even something in the event logs that may indicate a weak signal, interference.

thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A good quick indicator is:

Wireless/Spectrum

If shows you how much of the RF bandwidth is consumed.

It's common to have issues in the 2.4Ghz spectrum these days.

LeoG
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

To be totally honest the definitive way is to do a Site Survey that includes a Spectrum analyzer. And even while this is very useful when it comes to intermittent interference (i.e. an engine in a warehouse that only works for 20 minutes a day), it can be very difficult to pinpoint if the issue is related to interference.

As it was pointed before, if you go to Wireless > RF spectrum you can see the actual RF surrounding the AP.

It is also very helpful if you go to Wireless > Access Points and click on the RF tab, where you will see a log that includes channel utilization, clients, usage and most important of all, events, over a period of up to 1 month.

Leo Gomez
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels