Why only 100 mbit on one device.

MarkE
Here to help

Why only 100 mbit on one device.

I have 9 APs and one is running at 100 mbit while the rest are running at 1000 mbit. I did not run the cable for this but it is getting power from an injector at the switch. Any ideas why this would be happening? 

Thanks,

Mark 

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.41.09 AM.png

14 REPLIES 14
BAllen
Here to help

Is it the only device using a power injector? Could have a max speed

Is the switch port configured to run at 100?

Is it on the same switch as the other APs?

What switches are in the picture?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

It's either a cabling issue on one/both sides/or somewhere in the middle (the worst kind). The PoE Injector (if I read that right) might not support 1Gbps, you'll have to verify this. Confirm the switch itself also supports 1Gbps. I would also grab a spare, or swap a working 1Gbps AP with one of the others, and see if the known working one also show's up as 100, if so then its not the original AP (in case the AP itself is the issue, rare though).
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Bettencourt
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Check if you are negotiating any speed and the cable type.

MarkE
Here to help

Thanks for the quick replies.
This AP is on the same unmanaged gbit switch. There is only one switch. I'll check the max speed on the injector but I'm sure it runs at gbit. I have three other APs all using injectors and running at gbit. I'lll check the cabling (groan). All devices are running on the default indoor RF profile.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also check the cable length, when you are running PoE there are shorter distances than without.  Is the injector by the switch or the AP?

We have a couple of APs that flip between 1Gb and 100Mb every couple of days or so, we have tested the cabling and it all seems okay.  As the end users don't need more than 100Mb we haven't bothered replacing it...

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Don't forget patch cables between switch and POE Injector etc.

I've used some of the 'flat' ethernet cables at home because I thought they would look better, and after a few months I had several of them crap out and would only run at 100Mbps. Never buying those again
TwitterLinkedIn

I remember seeing a short black patch cable although I don't remember if its flat.  I'll be sure to check that out.

MarkE
Here to help

Thanks CMR.  Funny you should mention that.  Last time I looked at the switch, I saw two devices running at 100.  Now I only see one. Its a school that is closed based on the current situation so I can't see the switch but one device that was previously report 100 is now 1000. 🙄

JohnGeorge
Here to help

Just for giggles, swap the AP connected 100mbit  with one of the known working at 1000mbit using that same cable. See if the problem remains, follows the AP, etc.

If you know that the switch port is good, it has to be one of these ->  AP, cable(s) or PoE injector.

Process of elimination to find the winner! 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It doesn't have to be flat or even cheap cables, we had a batch of shielded cat6a cables that simply wouldn't run APs at 1Gb and they were 10Gb certified 😂

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yikes !
TwitterLinkedIn
Felippe
Getting noticed

For 1 GB Cat5e is enough 🙂 Cat 6A and higher is best for storage like Avid Nexis where you need high throughput. You don't get any benefits from using cables with higher category.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would agree with Cat6a vs 6 and at a push a shielded cat5e is okay, but it does depend on your environment, as our buildings approach 100m end to end cable runs and we cannot control power cables being placed near them in ceiling voids or under floors, shielding and the more copper you have the better!  We did run 100Mb over Type 1 for years with impedance adapters, now that was good cabling 😎

Felippe
Getting noticed

So i suggest using fibre instead of copper between the farest locations 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels