Voice VLAN for Wi-Fi - MR33

fmarcoux96
Getting noticed

Voice VLAN for Wi-Fi - MR33

Hi guys,

I am trying currently to create a dedicated SSID for my VoIP devices and I have a big issue I can't seem to fix: when tagging a Wi-Fi with a VLAN, the network doesn't work properly (meaning, I connect but no Internet).

Here's my topology:

- VLAN 1 : 192.168.1.0/24 -> Main VLAN

- VLAN 2 : 192.168.2.0/24 -> Voice VLAN

The MR33 is connected to a trunk port on my switch (MS220-8P) and the management VLAN is set to 1. Now, when I tag the MGMT or an SSID, nothing works.

I have 3 SSIDs: Main (VLAN 1), Guest (VLAN 1, Isolated), Voice (VLAN 2).

Does someone know what I am doing wrong? I followed the docs on Meraki.com

10 REPLIES 10
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

what router, how is it connected and configured. when you connect a client to a port with access vlan 2 does it work?

fmarcoux96
Getting noticed

The router is a MX64. The switch is on port 1 (trunk).

And yes, if I plug a PC on access VLAN 2 it works.
fmarcoux96
Getting noticed

The MR is plugged into a trunk port of the switch. It's a very simple setup.
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Can you show us a screenshot on how you have the switch port configured.

Do you have the SSID for the voice one tagged correctly?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

I don't have access to a computer right now but the port is basically a trunk allowing all VLANs, not dropping untagged traffic.

The MR has 3 SSIDs and yes the Voice one is configured to tag the traffic with VLAN2.

Sounds right to me

What about the trunk between the switch to the MX?

I think you said hardwired works fine, so DHCP shouldn't be an issue.

When you connect via wireless, do you get an IP or are you getting APIPA etc.?
TwitterLinkedIn

The switch is also connected to a trunk port on the MX, same config.

I can't connect in Wireless because my iPhone and all other devices say "No Internet Connection" when the VLAN tagging is enabled. So, I think I get an IP but iPhone are PITA about these things.
AmanGupta
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi,

Since your management VLAN is set to 1, when you tag your main VLAN as 1 on the MR, it unfortunately creates a problem. The trunk link between the MR and MS is expecting packets for all VLANs except the management VLAN.

Changing the main VLAN to anything other than VLAN 1 should fix this issue. 

Hope that helps,

Aman Gupta

@AmanGupta wrote:

Hi,

Since your management VLAN is set to 1, when you tag your main VLAN as 1 on the MR, it unfortunately creates a problem. The trunk link between the MR and MS is expecting packets for all VLANs except the management VLAN.

Changing the main VLAN to anything other than VLAN 1 should fix this issue. 

Hope that helps,

Aman Gupta

@AmanGupta  Is VLAN 1 on Meraki treated differently that any other VLAN that is arbitrarily used for 'management' purposes? For example I use VLAN 99 on the MX as an SVI for management, and set it on the switch settings for its management etc., and give the MR the native VLAN of 99 so that all MS/MR are using VLAN 99 for their IP.

So using VLAN 1 instead would create issues?  Feel like I would have read this somewhere but I'm not seeing anything. It must be right in front of my face somewhere lol.

TwitterLinkedIn

Hey,

It's not specific to VLAN 1. It's just having traffic tagged with management VLAN going through the trunk link between a MR and MS which causes this problem.

If your management VLAN is 99, the link would expect "tagged" traffic from all VLANs except VLAN 99. VLAN 99 frames in this case should be untagged. So if your main VLAN is VLAN 99 (i.e. same VLAN as management VLAN) and you enable tagging, it would create this problem of management VLAN traffic being tagged when it normally shouldn't have been. 

Hope that helps,

Aman Gupta

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels