Splash page

carloscalva
Comes here often

Splash page

Good afternoon everyone.

Currently I have a problem with my captive portal, when connecting to the SSID it does not show me the welcome page, I have configured to authenticate through the meraki cloud, but it connects me without entering my credentials.
This only happens with computers, on cell phones if it shows me the welcome page.
Does anyone know why this happens?,

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, When redirecting to the splash page, a redirect URL is used and each browser has its own. Have you tried to change the default browser? You can allow the URL that the browser uses for redirection in the walled garden.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

To block a client's access to the internet once it is placed into the captive portal after, it is important that the Captive portal strength for the splash is set to "Block all access until Sign-on is complete" under the Access-control page of the SSID (This will not disassociate the client from the SSID, only block internet access). Failing to do so will allow the client to continue using the network even after authorization has expired as the most traffic nowadays is HTTPS which is allowed when the Captive portal strength is set to "Allow non-HTTP traffic prior to Sign-on". The splash page would be served to the client again, post expiry of the Splash authorization, only when it sends an HTTP GET.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Splash_Page/Splash_Page_Traffic_Flow_and_Troubleshooting

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Connection Timeouts

If an unauthenticated client reports a connection timeout error in their browser instead of receiving the splash page when fetching a website, it is likely that the Captive Portal Strength is set to “Block all access prior to sign-on” and the client is using HTTPS when fetching the website.

When the web browser of an unauthenticated client sends an HTTP GET on TCP port 80, a Meraki node can see the request, intercept it, and respond with a redirect to the splash server. If an unauthenticated client are accesses a web page outside of the Walled Garden using HTTPS, the traffic is encrypted. Therefore the AP is unable to redirect the client successfully and the traffic will be blocked. In these instances, make sure the client accessing the web page using HTTP so they can be redirected properly.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use splash page access at one site and had to revert to the less secure option, or iPhones just didn't connect...

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you know the URL that the iPhone uses at the time of the GET to do the redirect, just allow it in the walled garden. This is what I did to solve the problem with Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.

I remember that in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome the URL msftconnecttest.com/redirect is used.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels