Share APs with another Network

Porcap
Comes here often

Share APs with another Network

Currently have a warehouse with several APs.  A customer asked if they could use our APs rather than installing a duplicate setup.  Can I have 2 separate networks use the same wireless infrastructure.  Maybe a new vlan?

19 REPLIES 19
PaulMcG
Getting noticed

A new SSID tagged to a vlan for their usage could be setup.  Assuming the APs are on switchports set to trunk mode.  After that it's just a matter of isolating that vlan to keep the traffic seperate from yours.

Porcap
Comes here often

SSID in bride mode?  And switch port for client network access/trunk?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Porcap Yes, SSID in bridge mode, but you have to configure VLAN tagging on SSID, and the port that the APs are connected should have to be configured as a trunk.

alemabrahao_0-1662492703889.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

to attach the client's network, do I just attach to an open switch port?  Any specific settings?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I didn't understand, what is an open switch port? What's are your switch model?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could using a new SSID and VLAN as suggested already but that would mean sharing switches as well. You would have to be very sure that things are setup securely and that there is no way they would access anything they shouldn't. 

I also wouldn't be offering this for free otherwise your are paying for all of the hardware for their benefit. 

Porcap
Comes here often

an available port on the switch, it is an Meraki MS210-24P

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I got It, well, you don't need a specific configuration, just a trunk port like this:

alemabrahao_0-1662632764969.png

In this example what is designated as the customer's VLAN

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It doesn't matter, you can use any VLAN that you want.

EJN
A model citizen

Depending on the needs and the relationship with this customer, could it be as simple as an isolated SSID for their use (similar to a Guest WiFi, but specific to this customer)?

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
AxL1971
Building a reputation

we have done a similair set where on a guest wireless we have 2 SSID's (guest wifi has a dedicated VLAN to seperate from corportate LAN)

one uses the Meraki splash screen for authentication and the other SSID has a passphrase to connect

Both are on the same DHCP scope but isolated with no peer to peer communciation.

Porcap
Comes here often

So a single device is handing out IPaddresses to 2 separate networks?

AxL1971
Building a reputation

yes a single DHCP server is allocating IP addresses to 2 SSID's - both SSID are on the same VLAN 

They are not seperate networks, both on same subnet but different SSID used for different authentication method

Porcap
Comes here often

I am trying to do this with 2 separate networks? Our customer asked us if they could use our APs. Try to figure out a way to do this.  Is this possible?

AxL1971
Building a reputation

when you say 2 seperate networks, these will be 2 subnets each with a DHCP server to allocate IP addresses, I assume you will be using a VLAN for each of the networks

if so, when you create your SSID, assign the VLAN to the SSID.

Porcap
Comes here often

One network will get its IP from DHCP on firewall and the other will have a static IP for the other network.  What do you think?

AxL1971
Building a reputation

These will be on different VLANs then, therefore on the SSID configuration you can state the VLAN you want that SSID to connect to and thus IP allocation be done based on your VLAN configuration

one SSID DHCP

second SSID static IP based on the VLAN subnet

Porcap
Comes here often

sounds good.!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels