SSID availability per accesspoint

Lemmy
Here to help

SSID availability per accesspoint

We run a FreeWiFi which is switched on everywhere during the day, but at night we want to switch it off at the public places, at other places the same FreeWiFi should remain available for the guests.

Is there a way to control the SSID availability per accesspoint and time? I find only a way to turn the whole SSID on and off timer controlled (taging certain accespoint's). If I want to switch off the same SSID only on single access points overnight, while on all other accesspoints is still on, I can't find a way. Does anyone have a good idea what I could do? 

12 REPLIES 12
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You set the SSID to be only available on APs with tag xxxx. On the APs where you want the SSID, you add that tag.

Lemmy
Here to help

I also wanted to make tree tags, freewifi, dayonly, 24h. I made the ssid availability "This is enabled on some APs.." I gave them the tag and sheduled availability. This enables "the rule" for the whole FreeWiFi SSID, because there is no way to give two shedules to the same SSID. OMG, sounds so complicated, sorry 🙂

somehow i need two differen shedules for the same SSID, a schedule for access point A with FreeWIFi and a different schedule for access point B with the same FreeWifi.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Lemmy 

Here is Meraki's documentation on SSID Availability and Using Tags to Broadcast SSIDs from Specific APs.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/SSID_Availability

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Using_Tags_to_Broadcast_SSIDs_from_Specific_APs

These should help you in setting up both the timeframe and where the SSID is broadcast.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Thank you. I've already tried the manual but I can't explain the problem very well.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Create two SSIDs, one called guest on certain APs using the tag option and the other called free on all APs but on a schedule.

Lemmy
Here to help

I try to explain it like that, imagine we are a hotel and offer FreeWifi to our customers. They authenticate at the reception and go up the building. It is important to our management that it stays the same SSID throughout the hotel. I've suggested 2 SSID and they don't want that. Now during the night in the first 2 floors the FreeWiFi is to be switched off because of abuse and because certain residents use our WiFi. From the 2nd floor on the reception is too weak.-)
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Lemmy Another option is to create two networks one for daytime use and one for 24 hours, that would allow you to create two different schedules that would broadcast the same SSID. 

@vassallon You think it would be possible to create two SSID with the same name and same pass trough page but different shedules? maybee i need to try if the devices connect without any issues, if this is possible to configure that in the UI... 🙂 But i like the idea already! Thank you!

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Lemmy I think that with two different networks solves your issues. One it allows you to "tag" the AP with the separation for location because you assign the AP to the network for either 24 Hours or Daytime. This then allows you to create different broadcast schedules based on the network rather than tagging. I think this solves the issue of tagging as well because if you need a specific AP to be on 24/7 or only available during the day you move it into the corresponding network and it will automatically follow the availability for that network.

@vassallon I will try that as soon as possible, not shure if i've got the point 100% but i will figure it out and give some feedback as soon as i can! Thank you!

Hi Lemmy,

did it work for you with two identically named SSIDs?

Cheers,

Chriz

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes but check the Air Marshal protection as the two networks advertising the same SSID on one LAN might cause an issue.  Set it to not block and then once all live you will see whether you can enable it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels