Rogue AP for android phone Wifi off

Jomar
Conversationalist

Rogue AP for android phone Wifi off

Hi,

Can you help me with this issue it emails an alert that my android phone is seen as a rogue ap but the wifi is turned off rather I'm using my phone data as a hotspot

8 REPLIES 8
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

So, you are connected via USB cable to your phone for a hotspot?

Otherwise, I would say Wi-Fi is enabled and therefore it’s a valid rogue alert.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Jomar
Conversationalist

there's no wired connection because I'm using my personal phone to connect to my company phone via mobile hotspot and it's kinda weird because it only happens yesterday
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

It's a known issue. If a mobile phone connects to the wireless, and then the person decides to disconnect and enable their hotspot on that phone, it will trigger Air Marshal to detect it as a 'Rogue' for being 'Seen on LAN'. No known fix as far as I know.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hi NolanHerring
Do you know if this issue has been published or post by meraki? and if so can you send me the link for the article

thank you!
Nash
Kind of a big deal

What Nolan describes matches my own experience. We basically investigate, see it's a cellphone, then shrug. Same as we do with DirectWifi or people's cars.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Nothing I can reference no sorry. It was a phone call to support when I initially came across it a few years ago.
TwitterLinkedIn

I also have a SSID whitelist for all my sites, to 'allow if match wildcard DIRECT-* "
TwitterLinkedIn

While it may be a bug, we leverage it to investigate coverage holes. Our environment is fairly isolated. If someone's been on our network before and then fires up a hotspot it is most likely because we're providing poor coverage. We send the user an email and ask if they were encountering a problem with our network. We also suggest that their use of a hotspot often serves to make any problem worse. (Makes us real popular 🙂 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels