Reasoning for MR30H port configuration

SOLVED
PeteStan
Here to help

Reasoning for MR30H port configuration

Hi there,

I've just had my first experience with configuring the wired ports on a MR30H, and I'm just trying to wrap my head around why Meraki is using SSIDs and port profiles, instead of the same method of configuring the wired ports as the MS switches.

It just seems so convoluted and unintuitive, that Meraki must have a methodology and reasoning that I've missed.

If anyone could shed some light, that would be great 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@PeteStan I'd say @PhilipDAth is correct and that the MR30H is first and foremost an AP, not a switch by any means, and the port profiles are all about extending SSIDs to wired interfaces, as well as having "wired only" SSIDs so you can configure all the same firewall rules, traffic shaping, splash page, etc on wired devices, as if they were associated wirelessly. 

Just like configuring wireless on an MX-W appliance has its limitations compared to deploying full-blown APs... As an AP the MR30H just doesn't have the switching chipset or capacity for all those functions.  I won't disagree that going from configuring switch ports to configuring port profiles is a bit jarring and certainly has some limitations compared to regular switch port settings, and perhaps the UI could be made a bit more intuitive or offer a few extra "i" bubbles to guide configuration.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Tell me about it!

My personal guess is that it will be related to the silicon in the device and the restrictions it imposes.

Ok PhilipDAth if you agree, then I'm definitely not missing anything!

Thanks.
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@PeteStan I'd say @PhilipDAth is correct and that the MR30H is first and foremost an AP, not a switch by any means, and the port profiles are all about extending SSIDs to wired interfaces, as well as having "wired only" SSIDs so you can configure all the same firewall rules, traffic shaping, splash page, etc on wired devices, as if they were associated wirelessly. 

Just like configuring wireless on an MX-W appliance has its limitations compared to deploying full-blown APs... As an AP the MR30H just doesn't have the switching chipset or capacity for all those functions.  I won't disagree that going from configuring switch ports to configuring port profiles is a bit jarring and certainly has some limitations compared to regular switch port settings, and perhaps the UI could be made a bit more intuitive or offer a few extra "i" bubbles to guide configuration.  

Thanks for your thorough explanation MerakiDave. That makes sense.
We were intending to use the device for an area in a building that only had 1 CAT5e run, to run an AP and power 2 IP phones and connect the laptops via the phone. We had a spare MR30H in inventory, but it doesn't look like it will carry all the vlans for the voice, data and wifi networks that we need.
Ideally I'd prefer to have more wired cabling run into that area, but for reasons I won't go into, it's not an option (politics lol).
I think I'll go with an MS120-8 switch and an MR42 AP instead.

Thanks again for your responses PhilipDAth and MerakiDave!

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Good to know about the differences though. I've not had a reason to use an MR30H yet but forewarned is forearmed

We have found that the MR30H models are great options for "holes" of coverage that are too small to rate a full blown MR42 or MR52.  They also serve well for conference room tables because users can get the best of both worlds with wired and wireless.  They are very versatile devices and really help us out around our building.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels