Problem with Meraki + Windows NPS radius server.

Eduardo_S
Comes here often

Problem with Meraki + Windows NPS radius server.

Hi gurus, we have a full WLAN deployed in various floors of our building, by using Meraki MR42 APs.

For auth purposes we uses Enterprise with my Radius Server. Radius is a Windows NPS and validates users in a Windows Domain controller...

The user IP is provided by a DHCP server in the same subnet as the users connect when uses the WLAN.

Everything work fine, EXEPT when a user moves from one floor to another and come back. I mean when a user take its mobile computer and goes to a different floor (and roams and connects to a different AP) and return to its original place (supposed to roam again and connect back to the original AP)

In that case, the mobile computer is disconnected completly from the WLAN. Nothing work again up to the user turn its WiFi off and reset it.

Its work as well if the user has a mobile wifi setting called "random hardware address" on, but this setting is not existing in all mobiles.

Any ideas of how can we solve that..? why this behaviour..?

Thanks a lot for your support. Regards.

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you use a single VLAN for wireless users across all floors?  That is the simplest and offers the best roaming experience.

Otherwise enable layer 3 roaming, which allows a user to get an IP address from one floor and then roam to another.

PhilipDAth_0-1673465588419.png

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Philip. Will try "Layer 3 roaming" and feedback as soon as posible. We already use a single VLAN across all floors.

Regards.

Eduardo_S
Comes here often

Unfortunately "Layer 3 roaming" didn´t work, same behaviour... 😞

We tryed a firmware upgrade as well, and even so dint,t fix our problem...still researching.

Regards.

thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

Have you enabled DHCP Required ? Because that has cheated me one time ... fool me once ... 🙂

Edit: Sorry .. its called "Mandatory DHCP" in the Dashboard 🙂

But then again .. that should also be a problem when you do the first roam, so most likely not the case here.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels