Preventing a mac address from connecting to my WiFi network

Stephen_S
New here

Preventing a mac address from connecting to my WiFi network

Hello, 

How can I prevent a specific MAC address (an Android phone, OnePlus-Nord) from connecting to my Meraki wifi from the Meraki dashboard, please?

I have tried adding the client's MAC address to the blocked Policy, but it doesn't change anything. 

I have even added the MAC address to the Deny filter on my Windows server 2019 active directory, but this doesn't prevent them from connecting to the Meraki wifi and DLing things. 

Thanks for any help.

Stephen  

6 Replies 6
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The deny filter should work. If you apply it, then disconnect the client from wifi. But clients like android and apple can change mac address very easy. 

Best way is to use something like a radius server/802.1x

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring_RADIUS_Authentication_...

Hi, the MAC address hasn't changed so far, and I have disconnected them via the Meraki Dashboard, under Network-wise > Clients.  But they immediately reconnects with the same IP and MAC.

I just pinged the IP in AD and I got 100% loss packets, however pinging via Meraki Dashboard yields 0% loss.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The blocked policy does not prevent that the client connect.  It just prevent the client from communicating

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would stick with the "Block" group policy.  It wont prevent them from connecting, but they wont be able to access anything.

Thanks, it does seem to work. They haven't been able to DL anything.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels