Performance degradation even though only less than 10 clients are connected

YudaPratama
New here

Performance degradation even though only less than 10 clients are connected

Hi Meraki Community,

I currently use MR33 and MR42 access points (per room 1 access point). I have an issue like the one in the subject above, there is performance degradation when there are several clients connected to the same access point. Especially if we want to use Zoom, Ms Teams, etc.

Please advise is there a proper radio configuration to solve the issue.

Below is my current configuration ;

YudaPratama_1-1621420771113.png

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is not one magical setting https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2014/05/from-site-survey-to-flawless-wireless-connectivity/

Its only on 1 Ap?  How many ssid you have? Does the ap report issues  like high interference? Do clients on both 2.4 and 5 ghz have this issue?

Do you have any traffic shaping or qos in place? https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Hi @ww ,

Its happed on all access points. I only use 1 SSID using both 2.4 and 5 Ghz & there is no report issue.

@YudaPratama  first thing I would do is disable 2.4ghz and see if the problem goes away. Also what speed internet conenction do you have, are you certain the issue is wifi and not your internet? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Change minimum bit rate to 12 unless you need old 802.11b devices to connect.

Disable band steering if you have it enabled

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apart from what the others have said, more and more frequently I'm finding this is related to the client and not the WiFi network.

Make sure the clients are using the latest WiFi drivers.

Make sure the power saving on the clients is set to "Maximum Performance" for WiFi.  Otherwise, machines crank the performance back.  You can see this from the command line on Windows 10 with:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0

Disable 2.4Ghz if at all possible.  It's better to have one device that can no longer connect, than degrade the performance for every other user.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels