Password Change SSID at Single Site

GJ1
Getting noticed

Password Change SSID at Single Site

Hi all. This is a basic question that I just want confirmation on. We want to change our SSID password for just one office only. All of our global sites use the same SSID name and password. If we change the password at our site, will that affect other sites?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

If the offices are split by networks it shouldn't affect anything. If everything is all in one organization then it will affect the rest. How is your org setup?  

Enthusiast
GJ1
Getting noticed

Hi kYutobi. We have different VLANs in each office for the SSID i.e. 10.10.60.0, 10.20.60.0 and the offices are separated by site-to-site VPNs.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Okay but are the Wireless SSID's in the same network?

Enthusiast
GJ1
Getting noticed

Ah ok, no. They're all under separate networks. So all ok to proceed with the change I'm guessing?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Does not sound like your using templates, so you should be fine.

If you have a network for each site, you can change the SSID/create a new one/delete one on a single network and it won't affect any other sites/networks at all.

So yes you are ok to proceed 😃
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I think Kyu means, structurally in the Meraki dashboard. Does each site have a separate NETWORK in the dash for its wireless devices?

If so, easy enough. Just change the password(s) for the SSID(s) on that site's network.

If you're using a single wireless network for all sites, then you can't change the password on a specific SSID without changing it for everyone.

I'd also recommend splitting it out so you have one wireless network per physical site. Meraki trainers have told me that for appliances/switches/wireless, you want to ensure that each site has its own network.

GJ1
Getting noticed

Thank you all for the help!

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GJ1  it sounds like you are OK to change it, at least if it doesn't work as expected change it back and start thinking on plan B. Good luck.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels