New MR28.6 Stable Release Candidate firmware - fixes WiFi5 wave 2 performance, MT issues and more!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New MR28.6 Stable Release Candidate firmware - fixes WiFi5 wave 2 performance, MT issues and more!

Wireless firmware versions MR 28.6 changelog

Important note

• Meraki APs use UDP port 7351 for cloud communication and TCP ports 80 and 443 for backup communications when running MR 27 and older firmware. When running MR 28 firmware, Meraki APs will now use TCP port 443 as the primary means for cloud connectivity. In order to maintain connectivity to the Meraki cloud on MR 28+ ensure that TCP port 443 is allowed to communicate with 209.206.48.0/20 on firewalls that are deployed upstream of your Meraki APs. (Wi-Fi 6 MRs)

Legacy product notice

• When configured for this version the MR12, MR16, MR18, MR24, MR26, MR32, MR34, MR62, MR66, and MR72 will run MR 26.8.3.

New

• Additional channel support in the Indonesia regulatory domain (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • Additional channel support in the Israel regulatory domain (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs)
  • NBAR blocked events are logged to the Event Log (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)

Bug fixes

• MT stability and performance improvements (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • MT Sensors are unable to connect to gateway (MR42E, MR53E)
  • Imagotag stability and performance improvements (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • Some Bluetooth Low Energy devices were not being detected as Bluetooth clients (Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • 802.11k feature improvements (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • PMK updates now contain the MR’s management VLAN (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • MR could enter a state where ADDBA requests would not be initiated, resulting in reduced throughput (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs)
  • Performance improvements for MRs directly connected to an MX (Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • Inconsistent LED behavior (MR30H, MR36H)
  • General stability and performance improvements (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)

Known issues

• Sporadic packet loss & instability on Layer 3 roaming & Teleworker VPN SSID's (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • No DHCP response error is seen after a client performs a successful L3 roam (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs/Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
  • Meraki Auth does not work when an SSID is configured to Tunnel data to a concentrator (Wi-Fi 6 MRs)
16 REPLIES 16
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

->: Performance improvements for MRs directly connected to an MX (Wi-Fi 6 MRs)

had bad upload speed (MR Mgig ports connected to gbit mx) but its fixed now.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal

Upgrade just went smoothly. Looking good so far!

TomasB
Here to help

Hi, do you know when it will be published as an Stable version? We have an policy to not enroll release candidate versions...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TomasB with Meraki there is no difference, it is simply that once a certain percentage of networks are using the Stable Release Candidate version, it becomes a Stable version

TomasB
Here to help

So it would be totally safe to update the firmware to a stable release candidate version ?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TomasB we are running 28.6 on our 120+ production APs with good results and have most models in service.

Erik2
Comes here often

We have found this update to be good, but we are having one issue.  One of our windows laptop models running a realtek adaptar started having issues after upgrading to the release candidate.  Normally our laptops have 15 or less connections in a 24 hour period.  After the update this number soared into the 1000s on one particular device type which we have around 100 or so devices deployed.  This included devices disconnecting and reconnecting to the same AP over and over in a matter of a couple seconds.  This lead to lagging and issues with Zoom clients especially.  Anyone else run into this?

I cannot say we have han any issue. We're running with Intel WIFI6 AX201 on our Windows laptops.

From what I have seen I can see a client roaming between two AP's every min.

But, no disassociation and no disconnections.

I'm note sure why this occurs. The signal is good to both AP's.

I will try with this:

Client balancing = Disable

Enable band steering = On 

I have seen lot of this on our hand held terminals running Android.

They are connected to a SSID with a static password (WPA2)

I would be happy if anyone know what can cause this issue?

The devices are in lockdown mode so there is no wrong password set by user for example:

TomasB_0-1645165713000.png

Have you figure out a solution to this? Most of my laptops have Realtek cards (RTL 8822) and they are either disconnection every few seconds or roaming from different APs 

Carlosjr56_0-1647546699884.png

This goes on for 100's of rows for the last hour

Yes, we are having the exact same issue with our MR46 and MR52 and Realtek adapters. No issue with our Intel cards. Currently have ticket opened with Meraki and HP. Meraki disabled 802.11k but no improvement. Seems to occur on both 2.4 and 5. AX disabled. Tried lowering roaming aggressiveness, disabled band steering and client balancing. Zero improvement so far.

Erik2
Comes here often

Yes!  We did all those things we were recommended by support with no improvement.  I will say that like usual after we did their troubleshooting they closed our case even though I kept telling them that this was still an issue.  I also did not hear anything back from our rep after emailing him multiple times and him telling me they would look into it.

Testarossa
New here

Hi

Is the Wireless firmware version MR 28.6 stable for update?

Thanks

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Testarossa we have been using it without issues for over a month on ~125 APs across quite a few sites.

I would recommend upgrading. We're running 28.6 on ~360 AP's with WPA2 PSK on one SSID and Radius on another. We have no issues with this.

From my point of view (and several customers too): yes

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.