Network Location and Regulatory Domain

pdeleuw
Getting noticed

Network Location and Regulatory Domain

Hi all,

I would like to have some clarification. The Meraki documentation says:

A device's regulatory domain is determined based on the ship-to location when a device is sold and the IP geo-location (Geo-IP) when the device checks into the dashboard. If the ship-to country or subsequent Geo-IP lookup for a specific node does not match the network country, an error will be shown in the dashboard and users must take corrective action.

If you generate a new dashboard network, the default setting (Network-wide -> Configure -> General) is the Regulatory Domain "Default". The Tooltip gives the hint:
Regulatory domains define which channels an access point can use. This network is using the default regulatory domain, which has a restricted set of channels. Ensure you have selected the correct region to set the correct regulatory domain.
I could use Switch to manual country setting to set the country, the according Regulatory Domain is configured automatically.

I understand the tooltip in a way, that I have to configure the regulatory domain manually. This would conflict with the documentation, saying the regulatory domain will be set automatically. My access point was shipped to Germany. Is my "Default" regulatory domain according to the ship-to-location CE? Or is it something else (maybe the Worldwide Safe MOde (WWSM)?

Best Regards

Peter

5 Replies 5
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@pdeleuw : I think this thread will clear you more 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Regulatory-domain-mismatch/m-p/12775#M482 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
pdeleuw
Getting noticed

Thank you, @Inderdeep, I found the Country on the AP Status Page. It ist Germany, that is correct. I assume now, that the regulatory domain is chosen accordingly.

It seems that the documentation is correct. But the tooltip is misleading. It would be clearer, if the dashboard did not show "Default" as Regulatory Domain, but the chosen one.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@pdeleuw : Yeah i understand, that may be Meraki Support can help you on that !

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
pdeleuw
Getting noticed

@Inderdeep: Formerly, there was a button "Make a wish" - now it's called "Give your feedback". I think that is a good idea.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@pdeleuw : Go ahead and give a feedback 👍

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels