Nest Cam on MR

Microfiche
Here to help

Nest Cam on MR

Been having some issues with a Nest Cam and trying to determine if it is the network or the cam.

Tried connecting up using dual band and I was getting a lot of drops, with these log entries:

7/15/2019 11:01802.11 associationchannel: 161, rssi: 33
7/15/2019 10:49802.11 disassociationunknown reason
7/15/2019 10:49WPA deauthenticationradio: 1, vap: 2, client_mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
7/15/2019 10:44WPA authentication 

I Googled a bit and found a suggestion that the Nest Cams like to have a single band 2.4 GHz network, so I had support make that option available and created a new SSID. Worked great for 5 days and then last night it disconnected again briefly:

7/23/2019 4:29WPA authentication 
7/23/2019 4:29802.11 associationchannel: 1, rssi: 40
7/23/2019 4:29802.11 disassociationclient has left AP
7/23/2019 4:29WPA deauthenticationradio: 0, vap: 2, client_mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 

What else could be causing these deauthentications?

I am not seeing any other power interruptions or network issues.

13 REPLIES 13
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

After 5 days it disconnected and did not reconnect?

Or it disconnect and re-associated immediately afterwards?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

It disconnected and re-associated immediately afterwards.
I am just concerned that the disconnection problem is ongoing - unless that is normal?
I get a notification when the Nest Cam feed stops.

@Microfiche How is the 2.4 Ghz saturation in your area? I know at my house 2.4 is worthless as there are tons of other wireless routers that are overpowered and all of the channels are worthless so my router changes channels frequently.

Did your AP make a channel change that resulted in the drop as the nest reconnected to the new channel?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

We are a business in a strip mall - only 4-5 businesses. I can only see 2-3 other SSIDs at any given time, so I don't think that is it? Not sure how to tell if it changed channels - looking at the event log I only see channels 1 and 161 being referenced on the 3 SSIDs, but it looks like the Nest Cam SSID is staying on channel 1. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Do you have multiple APs or is it just this one? Channel for your SSID is based off the channel in use by your access point, so if it reconnects to the same AP, it'll stay on whatever channel that AP is using.

In terms of finding info on the air around you:

Try looking under Wireless->Monitoring->Air Marshal and Wireless->Monitoring->RF Spectrum to see what's going on around you.

Air Marshal will show you the other SSIDs your APs can see broadcast around you.

RF Spectrum will give you more info on the spectrum usage. If you click on each AP, it'll show you channel utilization around it.

Just 1 AP with 3 SSIDs. 

I really don't know much about this - I have attached some screen caps, maybe they mean more to you!

It looks like the Meraki can see more SSIDs than my phone can.

Screen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen capScreen cap

For me once it disconnects it can't re-associate without hours of rebooting both the Meraki and the Camera multiple times.

johnlcharette
Here to help

Interesting.  I have a couple Nest cams (Nest Hello & Nest Outdoor Cam).  The Nest Hello never had any issues, but the Nest Outdoor Cam would drop 2-3 times a day for 5-10min using TP-Link M5 Deco access points.  I just switched to a single MR33 and it's been perfect since.  0 drops.

I have both cameras running at HIGH quality.  I just confirmed they are using 2.4ghz, channel 11.

Let me know if you'd like to compare any other settings.

Microfiche
Here to help

Well, I eventually got a replacement camera from Google.

Set it up, and experiencing exactly the same issue.

Once or twice a day, it will disconnect and reconnect - same log entries as shown before.

The problem is that I get a push alert every time - and I can't turn it off as I would then not be alerted to a real problem with the camera. Very frustrating.

From what I can see, the signal is strong - it is only about 35 feet away from the MR18

I would appreciate any ideas - as it appears it is something with the Meraki...

Have you considered buying an additional AP?

I just purchased an additional MR33 because of my Nest cameras.  My single AP was near the front of the house (where my 2 cameras are located), and it was being taxed hard with approx 1.5 Mb/s upload to Google.  I put another AP at the other end of my house, where we typically use our laptops, cell phones and it's been much better.  My Nest cameras didn't seem to lose connection, but my other devices would get booted often.  Since I've had the 2nd one, it's been wonderful.

I guess I would consider it if I thought it was being taxed, but realistically it is disconnecting often outside of office hours, and it doesn't look to me like it is being taxed much during those times?

I don't have the resolution set very high.

You can see when staff start getting in just before 8 AM.

meraki.png

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same exact issue and thought it was the camera until I added a second and it started to disconnect. 

Bovie2K
Getting noticed

I have the exact same issue. I found some improvement after going to 2.4Ghz only but the problem is not connectivity. It's some kind of incapability between Nest and Meraki. It works fine for months then a power outage or firmware update and it won't connect. I'll try it 100 times over hours then all the sudden it works again. I put in a different AP and it works fine. Then change it back to the Meraki and it works but still something is up. Would love to find a fix. All other devices stay connected and reconnected no problem with the Meraki.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels