Multiple Building LANs

Solved
DerikA
Getting noticed

Multiple Building LANs

I have several physical buildings in the same logical network sharing one MX, all utilizing Meraki wireless. I am not supporting outdoor wireless at this time. Each building has it's own subnets for data, phones and to some extent wireless. Each building has it's own street address and they are in a row with between 60-200 feet between the neighboring building.

Considering just the wireless, it best to have all the buildings in the same Meraki network or would it be better to have each building in it's own Meraki network?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The answer to this is more about how you would like things to work.

I would personally put everything in a single network in that case.  The MX has all of its clients directly connected, regardless of building.  Because of this you really want the wireless view to match up.  Although you are not using group policy at the moment, it means that id you do "block" something - it will be blocked everywhere.  Otherwise, you would have to do into each individual network to perform the same task.

Also the organisation reports will be more accurate with a single network.  Otherwise, the same client will be seen in multiple networks (MX and MR) and in effect get double counted.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the MX doing the routing between VLANs?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using group policies at all, and if so, do they need to stick to the user as they move between buildings?

Yes, the MX is doing the inter vlan routing. As for group policies, at this time no they don’t need to go between buildings.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The answer to this is more about how you would like things to work.

I would personally put everything in a single network in that case.  The MX has all of its clients directly connected, regardless of building.  Because of this you really want the wireless view to match up.  Although you are not using group policy at the moment, it means that id you do "block" something - it will be blocked everywhere.  Otherwise, you would have to do into each individual network to perform the same task.

Also the organisation reports will be more accurate with a single network.  Otherwise, the same client will be seen in multiple networks (MX and MR) and in effect get double counted.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels