Moved MR26 AP from one network to another, and lost all SSIDs

Solved
DaaBoss
Conversationalist

Moved MR26 AP from one network to another, and lost all SSIDs

I moved an MR26 from one network to another -- Unfortunately, after moving it, all the SSIDs for the MR26 were NOT transferred or combined.  This was very unexpected, and no warnings of this.  Any way to get the SSID configs back?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go:

Organization/Configuration Sync

And synchronise the SSIDs from the old network to the new network.

OK, got there... But, oddly, in two different browsers (FFox and Opera), I can't select any of the SSIDs that it (now) shows, with a "O" between the source and target.  FYI, I did move the MR26 BACK to the original network successfully, which now still shows the SSIDs I wanted to move.  However, I still can't select the SSIDs, either before or after I restored the MR26 to the original network.  Also, the "Organization/Configuration Sync" page, I can only see one of the Networks that have APs and SSIDs, even though they both do.

A few more details:

Other than an MDM network for clients, I have two networks -- All devices are on the same LAN now, which is why I am combining them.

Network name:  SWITCH -- This is the network I am planning on moving the MR26 to.

Inventory: -- MX64  - MS220-8P - MR-18  (Has 4 active, but infrequently accessed SSIDs:  EX=> "Meeny, Miney, Mo, Other")

Network name:  WiFi - This network will not be used, and will have no devices after moving:

Inventory: -- MR-26  (Has 2 active SSIDs that are my main Wifis in-use: "LAN-WiFi, Public-WiFi", that I wanted to sync.)

Let's assume I haven't moved hardware at all, (since I restored to the MR-26 to "WiFi").  On the "Organization/Configuration Sync" page:

SOURCE NETWORK:  Only shows "WiFi" network as a choice, and NOT the "SWITCH" network.  

(All the SSID are empty after I choose "WiFi".)

TARGET NETWORK: Only shows "All Wireless Networks" as a choice and NOT the "SWITCH" network.

Once I choose my only choice as a target network, it does now show the two SSID's for the "WiFi" network.

• Why doesn't SOURCE show both network choices, since both networks have APs with active SSIDs?
  • Why doesn't TARGET show both network choices, (for same reason)?
  • ONCE I have displayed "LAN-WiFi and Public-WiFi"  SSID's with the "O" next to them, why can't I SELECT either one, or both SSIDs?
  • There is no "Accept", "start sync" or any other action button, such as "save".  How can I make the SSIDs sync?
  • I tried typing in any network name in source or target, and it said "not found".

)

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Go:

Organization/Configuration Sync

And synchronise the SSIDs from the old network to the new network.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure why it didn't show up.

Just a note that although you can have more than 4 SSID's configured the efficiently of the RF spectrum reduces because the air time gets consumed sending beacons advertising all the different SSIDs and their capabilities.  So if you can, reduce down to 4 SSIDs or less.

Also note that if you tag the APs you can configure SSID availability so only some SSIDs are advertised by some access points.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I looked into this a bit more.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Cloning_Network_S...

This feature can not be used with a combined network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels