Meshing when wired

Speedbird1
Getting noticed

Meshing when wired

Hi All, 

I did a search for this but couldn't find anything relevant so thought it would be good ask 

If all my AP's are hard wired do i even need meshing enabled ? I believe it has overheads with internal meshing SSID's etc. At the same time i even with meshing disabled the AP's still communicate with each other for various performance data. Is this correct ?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If all of your AP's are wired into the network, then yes you don't need meshing. Disabling it will stop it from broadcasting the mesh SSID thereby freeing up some airtime.

Meshing isn't required for AP to AP communication in terms of client balancing etc. This information is sent as encrypted broadcasts over the LAN connection.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Client_Balancing#Information_Exchange

Great thank you 

That works for us then as we have no use for meshing. 

I read the meshing KB and that didn't mention the AP to AP communication. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Remember that meshing is also there specifically for APs that are normally wired;   if an AP loses the wired communication path, but remains powered up, it uses mesh to provide onward connectivity for all it's associated clients.   Having meshing enabled consumes relatively small amounts of airtime.

I get this bit too, however i have seen major slow downs when an AP becomes a repeater, to the point where dns is even un-workable. It gets worse than dial up. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels