Meraki on Satellite - Latency affecting reported mesh speed?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Meraki on Satellite - Latency affecting reported mesh speed?

On a brand-new install with a 30mbit satellite connection mated to a MX64 hard wired to a MR84 broadcasting to a repeater MR52 at about 120 feet, I get 19db consistently with less than 1% packet loss. Its more or less clear line of sight. MR84 has omnis to cover the whole area and hit this repeater. Satellite ping is around 600-800 on average but speeds really do deliver around 30mbit. I see reported mesh speeds bounce from 6-35mbit. Dashboard speed tests from the MR52 pretty consistently deliver 16-25mbit. Could the satellite latency in any way be affecting the reported mesh speed? Seems odd that it would but trying to figure it out. We are so far off the grid there is no cell phone service of any kind and RF tabs are totally empty. No RF interference. Thoughts? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the Sattellite service should havce no impact on reported MESH speed.

Is this on a "metal" [marine] vessel?  You might be fighting with a lot of reflections.

Perhaps other things are using up some of the airtime.  Check out Wireless/RF Spectrum to see how much is free.  You could also click on the MR84 on that screen to see how the individual channels are.  The MR52, being a repeater, doesn't have much choice in the issue.  It needs to use the same channel as the MR84.

If you change the antenna on the MR84 to a focsed antenna rather than using an omni you are almost certainly likely to get a better speed.

You could also consider devoting a particular band (such as 5Ghz) to the MESH backhaul and leaving 2.4Ghz for the clients.  Check out this article:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking#How_does...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels