Meraki Wi-Fi DHCP/WLAN Options versus SonicWALL

DunJer622
Building a reputation

Meraki Wi-Fi DHCP/WLAN Options versus SonicWALL

Greetings,

As I continue on my bumpy road of Meraki discovery, I've again needed to pull off to the side of the road and make sure I'm not holding the map upside down.

In this case, I'm looking to setup multiple Wi-Fi SSIDs within any given environment.  With SonicWALL, I'd simply create the required zones and interfaces, then create the virtual access profile and groups.  The end result would be an access point (or more) getting an address (from WLAN pool) from the router, broadcasting 3 Wi-Fi SSIDs with specific subnets (again, provided from the router).  For example, I'd set a location up with the following:

Secure Wi-Fi, broadcast, 2.4 and 5GHz, 10.50.30.0/24 (DHCP scope 10.50.30.30-10.50.30.240), WPA2, specific content filter policy

Therap Wi-Fi, hidden, 2.4 and 5GHz, 192.168.0.0/24 (DHCP scope 192.168.0.30-192.168.0.240), WPA2, specific content filter policy

Client Wi-Fi, broadcast, 2.4 and 5GHz, 10.11.30.0/24 (DHCP scope 10.11.30.30-10.11.30.240), WPA2, specific content filter policy

WAP(s) would be on the 10.40.30.0/24 network.

With Meraki, I'm struggling to create the same setup WITH content filtering.  What am I missing?  What is Meraki's plan with content filtering?  For our environments, our Secure Wi-Fi has strict content filtering, while Therap and Client have reduced, but still present, content filtering.  None of our Wi-Fi interacts with the wired LAN environments, which also have their own content filtering rules.  We have VERY different user groups for each environment (with some crossover), so different content filtering rules are important.  With Meraki, it seems to be more "all or nothing".  Currently, we don't use AD or RADIUS authentication.  I expect that we'll implement AD and RADIUS, but we're still going to have networks that don't rely on either.

I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

Thank you,

Jeremy 

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You can do this using Group Policies. Content Filtering rules can be set in a group policy, and you can then apply the GP to the MX VLAN. Naturally, you'll need to have your SSID's in bridge mode set to the appropriate VLAN so the SSID hits the desired GP. 

DunJer622
Building a reputation

Thanks for the reply.

I had previously tried utilizing GP, but couldn't find a way to have the separate networks and apply them... and I still can't.  I don't see how using bridge mode works for this, but I'll keep investigating.  I'm obviously missing a step... or more.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Let's say you have an SSID called "DunJer's Radical Wifi". Under Wireless --> Configure --> Access Control you then configure that SSID to bridge to VLAN 1 (for example). Next, create a Group Policy under "Network-wide --> Configure --> Group policies" and set up the Content Filtering the way you like. Now on the MX you go to "Security appliance --> Configure --> Addressing & VLANS" and in the Routes section for the VLAN you add the GP to that VLAN.

GPonVLAN.PNG

If you do it this way you bridge each SSID into a different VLAN, and you apply a unique GP to each VLAN giving you the ability to apply policies to each group of users. Every user who connects to "Dunjer's Radical WiFi" is placed into VLAN 1 and will be subject to the content filtering for that VLAN.

Does that help? 

DunJer622
Building a reputation

Perhaps it is just the verbiage that I get hung up on.  I'd done the VLAN and GP creation, but it was the assigning of it that was causing me grief.  So, in this case, as one of my defined VLANs is 101, within the SSID config page, I'd select Use VLAN tagging and enter 101 in the box next to All other APs

Adam
Kind of a big deal

SSID configuration applies to all APs in the network automatically unless you configure exceptions Wireless>SSID Availability

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Adam On the "Access control" page the settings only apply to the SSID you have selected in the dropdown.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva Right, I thought he was asking if it had to be configured on each AP.  You are correct.  Setting applies to whatever SSID selected in the dropdown.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Yup, you got it. That's exactly right.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels