Meraki NAT slower network

MarkieLawrence
Comes here often

Meraki NAT slower network

We have setup a Meraki NAT SSID  with Meraki firewall rules to allow though certain ports to our main network and servers. This is to segregate such devices from accessing fully our main LAN.

However we have noticed that this network seems slower (even pings are 10 times longer) even from the same AP than our bridged\ L3 network SSID connected devices that are part of our LAN. 

Is this an expected slowness due to the NATing required? Is there anything we can do to speed it up or do we need to rethink how we acheive this via VLANs etc?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any traffic shaping rule configured for this SSID?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
MarkieLawrence
Comes here often

No traffic shaping The SSID is set to unlmited

And how about your firewall?  I have never heard of or experienced a slow network when the SSID is configured for NAT.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why don't you create a separate VLAN for this SSID, when you use NAT the client connection will use the AP IP to access the network. In my opinion, the best option is to use a different VLAN for this case.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/VLAN_Tagging_on_MR_Access_Points

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't experienced this issue.

When you say slower, what are the ping response times?  Like 2ms on a bridged SSID and 20ms on a NAT ssid?

Are the NAT users dropped into the same VLAN as the bridged users?  If not, perhaps whatever is providing the routing for the NAT VLAN is slower.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels