MR74 using different antenna types

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MR74 using different antenna types

So on the MR84 with it’s joined dual band antennas for sure not, but it seems like using the different bands on the MR74 for different things, say the 2.4 for omnis and the 5ghz for a sector antenna would also yield some mixed results. Like if you want to provide local access do that and do omnis all around, or if you want to do a patch use patch on both aimed the same area, or if you want a point to point link use sector on both. Thoughts? Best practices? I think if you mix antennas like that band steering will seriously mess you up Bc your 2.4ghz won’t even broadcast and you’ll have this confined beam of 5ghz that nobody outside the beam can connect to. 

Follow up question - for sector antennas - are they best for point to point or to cover an area like a flashlight would, or does it not really matter and it can do both, just have to test whether the range and scope of the radiation pattern matches up w your needs?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
2 Replies 2
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I do not see any issues with using an Omni on a 2.4Ghz and a directional/semi-directional antenna on a 5 Ghz band as long as we are connecting the antenna cables in the correct ports. So, the sector antenna is a directional antenna which will be best served for the PTP and PTMP links. If you want a flashlight kind of coverage, a patch antenna will be the best one to go with.

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A agree with @Raj66 .

>antennas like that band steering will seriously mess you up

Hmm, interesting question.  I think I would leave band steering off.  If a client can only just hear the 5ghz signal the AP wont send them a beacon on the 2.4Ghz band.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/Band_Steering_Overview#How_Band_Steering_works

>are they best for point to point or to cover an area like a flashlight would, or does it not really matter and it can do both, 

They can do both.  For example, they are often used in warehouse isles to point down between the shelves.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels