MR72 issues

Solved
Chip
Conversationalist

MR72 issues

Is anyone experiencing issues with the MR72 for the 2.4 GHz band only?  We are seeing devices either get 0.0.0.0 ip's or not connect at all.  Connecting to 802.1x radius or WPA2-PSK does the same thing.  We've narrowed it down to just those APs (we also have MR42s and MR34s in our environment and those APs are running smoothly).

We updated to the beta 26.1 (which is supposed to resolve a few issues with 2.4) but we are still seeing problems.  We have completely disabled 2.4 from our 72s and looking for feedback.

Anyone else seeing this?

1 Accepted Solution
Chip
Conversationalist

Ok, so support told me there is a known issue with the MR72's and 26.1 firmware. 

As a band-aide I've tested that disabling 2.4 GHz and only allowing 5GHz will work for the 72s, the problem is these are mostly used for our outdoor APs with outdoor antenna; where distance is more key and 2.4 would shine.

Supports recommendation was for them to put all the MR72s in 25.13 firmware across the network which I agreed, until there is an available patch.

I hope this helps others that have a similar issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Chip I'd suggest opening a ticket with Meraki Support, I have heard of one other similar case, and I did not research it, but if you get a ticket open that helps them correlate and isolate the bug across multiple deployments, perhaps to that particular firmware version on that model of AP.  Opening a case allows them to add you to an existing bug ID and assist with Eng developing a fix. 

For now you did the right thing running 5GHz only on those APs.  Your other option would be to have support pin the MR72 APs to their previous version while the rest of your APs remain on 26.1.  At least then you can have 26.1 everywhere else, and still have your MR72 APs running dual band on a 25.x firmware.

Chip
Conversationalist

Thanks, I've done just that.  We've had a similar situation a little while ago with the same MR72s.

We are on 26.1 across the networks because I read somewhere that there was a bug fix that was supposed to resolve some issues on 2.4 for those APs. 

I'll see what happens with the case and repost.

Chip
Conversationalist

Ok, so support told me there is a known issue with the MR72's and 26.1 firmware. 

As a band-aide I've tested that disabling 2.4 GHz and only allowing 5GHz will work for the 72s, the problem is these are mostly used for our outdoor APs with outdoor antenna; where distance is more key and 2.4 would shine.

Supports recommendation was for them to put all the MR72s in 25.13 firmware across the network which I agreed, until there is an available patch.

I hope this helps others that have a similar issue.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels