MR56 compatibility with MX250/MS250

scsh4
Conversationalist

MR56 compatibility with MX250/MS250

We have an MX250 security appliance and an MS250 switching appliance. Is there a way that we can get an MR56 connected to these appliances? Neither the MX nor MS250 have mGbe. However, both have SFP/SFP+ ports (although I think the MS250 ports are for uplink only), but I was unable to find an SFP or SFP+ copper transceiver from Cisco (or Cisco Meraki) that supported speeds greater than 1GbE.

Will this work if there is a compatible transceiver? If I'm correct, it would need to be connected to the MX appliance, and I would guess that the transceiver would need to be Cisco Meraki branded; we had issues using plain Cisco transceivers for our uplink ports on the MX250 and had to get the ones specifically from Cisco Meraki.

3 REPLIES 3
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MR56 doesn't require a mGig port on the switch end. It can connect to a standard 1 gig port.

scsh4
Conversationalist

Sorry, I specifically meant to take advantage of the 5GbE capability that the MR56 offers.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just try 1Gbit port first. And see if you ever get near 1Gbit (you probably wont in normal office environments, you would need 160Mhz band or 80Mhz+a very special client device).  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels