MR55 - trying to test it out - throughput not as expected

SOLVED
JellyBelly
Conversationalist

MR55 - trying to test it out - throughput not as expected

Hi, I purchased one MR55 to test out wifi 6. I have it connected to my network which also has many MR32/MR53 units. I have the Intel AX200 wireless card installed on my test laptop. When I test for speed using speedtest.net on my wired network, I get 170Mdown and 135Mup. When I switch to the wireless card and connect to the MR55, I only get 60Mdown and 90Mup. I would have expected to get the same results but maybe I need to go to networking class (?) Both my wired connections for workstations and wired connections for the access points are on Brocade 7250 switches. I am using a VLAN for the wireless network as well. I am wondering if there are some other special setting I must visit to get better results. Thanks for any pointers or education!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yeah so your throughput testing is going to vary widely from one test to the next, all depending on the wireless environment at that moment in time, how you have things configured, driver version etc.

If you want to 'see what she's got', then you'll need to do the following:

• Update MR55 to latest beta firmware
  • Update your AX200 to latest driver firmware
  • Find a frequency that is as clean as possible
  • You'll want to use 80MHz to get the 'max' speed available
    • Remember that wireless is half-duplex
    • Meaning if your connection rate is showing 866Mbps, you'll get half that in a clean RF test
  • You'll want to perform an iPerf test, so do not rely on the Internet for this speedtest
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yeah so your throughput testing is going to vary widely from one test to the next, all depending on the wireless environment at that moment in time, how you have things configured, driver version etc.

If you want to 'see what she's got', then you'll need to do the following:

• Update MR55 to latest beta firmware
  • Update your AX200 to latest driver firmware
  • Find a frequency that is as clean as possible
  • You'll want to use 80MHz to get the 'max' speed available
    • Remember that wireless is half-duplex
    • Meaning if your connection rate is showing 866Mbps, you'll get half that in a clean RF test
  • You'll want to perform an iPerf test, so do not rely on the Internet for this speedtest
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I know this is an old thread but I tested an 802.11ac laptop (3-4 year old XPS) connected to a wired PC and got just over 500Mb sustained throughput when marked as an 867Mb connection.  Not bad really 😎 

ArshadSafrulla
Here to help

Hi,

Go to Dahsboard===>Wireless===>Firewall & Traffic Shaping

Turn off the default traffic shaping rules under the SSID you are connecting.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ArshadSafrullaI was actually quite happy with 500Mb/s but I did try as you suggested.  The result was a throughput of about 420Mb/s so I re-enabled the rules and got just over 480Mb/s.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels