MR55 radio range / power

Solved
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR55 radio range / power

I have an MR55 in a low interference location (home) that isn't giving as good coverage as I'd hope for.  I have tried increasing the radio power on both bands, I tried the 5GHz first as I'm not really interested in 2.4GHz apart from a printer...

On the 5GHz radio I cannot get into go over 17 and on the 2.4 it won't go above 14.  I have tried using fixed power, profiles and override ranges, all to no effect.  Is it a limitation of the WiFi6 APs, in order that they maintain their transfer speed?

1 Accepted Solution

Just occurred to me that the radio TX options always show up to 30dBm even though they won't necessarily use it lol.  So nevermind lol.

What channel is your 5GHz running on because that will affect its potential max tx power

55555.PNG
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Doug100
Here to help

Hi the max power for mr55 is less than can be allocated in the dashboard. If you switch to the old version of the dashboard then you can only see and adjust to the max power of the ap. I don’t think this is your issue though, more likely something else such as placement...hard to guess without more details. Nothing to do with wifi6 though. 

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Can you show a screenshot of the power level options?

Also, to be fair, you don't particularly really 'want' to go too high so you don't end up with near/far issues since most clients won't be able to hit high power outputs etc., however I understand your frustration.

Should be able to go a tad higher though
https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR55.pdf
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NolanHerring I was originally looking for about 20 or so on the 5GHz, the AP might be in the kitchen but I already have a microwave....

Here are the radio settings, as you can see I've tried an auto range and fixed:

Screenshot_20200204-220345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200204-220432_Chrome.jpg

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And here are the interference graphs, note no, yes zero, interfering 5GHz APs:

Screenshot_20200204-221152_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200204-221230_Chrome.jpg

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

wow they still have yet to fix that -40 rogue neighbor bug lol
TwitterLinkedIn
PawelG
Building a reputation

Yep, same with MR45 - still showing lots of rogues at -40 and lots of AP with 160dbM signal in RF reports...

Br, Pawel.

Just occurred to me that the radio TX options always show up to 30dBm even though they won't necessarily use it lol.  So nevermind lol.

What channel is your 5GHz running on because that will affect its potential max tx power

55555.PNG
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nolan, you are a star, channel 44 in UK region couldn't go over 17db, changed to 108 and the requested 22db has taken:

Screenshot_20200204-222950_Chrome.jpg

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Glad to hear 😃

I wasn't sure if you were FCC or ETSI based
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels