MR52s detecting wireless clients as rogue APs

SOLVED
thedoctor654321
Conversationalist

MR52s detecting wireless clients as rogue APs

Hello,

Maybe I am missing something but for a while now I have been getting emails from the Meraki site about rouge APs on our network.  Every time I look it is something along the lines of DIRECT-NU"PC Name"msMt  The NU and the msMt seem to be random every-time but it is a seemingly random computer that is on our wireless network.  It is always a legitimate name of a PC that we have connected to our network.  The wireless network they are connected to is bridged to our LAN.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does the "Direct" in front of the name mean anything?  I also know that the MAC addresses reported for these "rogue" APs are the legitimate MAC addresses for the whichever computer it decides is rogue.  We are on Firmware 25.9.  I should also add that these machines being detected as rogue seems to have no effect on their ability to function on the WiFi.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Chris_M
Getting noticed

The client probably have Direct Wi-Fi on and in use, and Meraki detects that and flag it as a rogue AP. This is a legitimate problem for some organization so its working as expected.

As for being labelled as rogue, if your Wireless > Air Marshal setting determines what Meraki will do when it detects this. By default, "Allow clients to connect to rogue SSID by default". 

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Chris_M
Getting noticed

The client probably have Direct Wi-Fi on and in use, and Meraki detects that and flag it as a rogue AP. This is a legitimate problem for some organization so its working as expected.

As for being labelled as rogue, if your Wireless > Air Marshal setting determines what Meraki will do when it detects this. By default, "Allow clients to connect to rogue SSID by default". 

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

Thank You very much.  I will disable it on the PCs that I have noticed in the list and see what happens.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels