MR44 Alerting: This device is using a DHCP IP address from VLAN 0 instead of using configured VLAN 1

SOLVED
tkovac
Here to help

MR44 Alerting: This device is using a DHCP IP address from VLAN 0 instead of using configured VLAN 1

I have a MR44 connected to a C3560CX that keeps alerting a DHCP IP and VLAN issue, even though both the device and the trunk port are set to VLAN 250 and neither 0 nor 1 are being used. I have similar setups elsewhere and this is the first time I've seen this alert.  The AP seems to be fully functional otherwise. 

Am I missing something?

tkovac_0-1660622493900.png

tkovac_1-1660622578450.png

interface GigabitEthernet0/9
description Connection to WAP01
switchport trunk allowed vlan 200,205,250
switchport trunk native vlan 250
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
auto qos trust
end

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you're specifying the vlan for device mgmt on the Meraki dashboard, you shouldn't need to set that vlan as native on the port.

I suspect your alert is due to that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you're specifying the vlan for device mgmt on the Meraki dashboard, you shouldn't need to set that vlan as native on the port.

I suspect your alert is due to that.

I'll give that a try but it does seem strange, none of the other sites have responded like this.   I will report back.

I removed the VLAN setting from the Meraki AP on the dashboard and that cleared the alert.  Thanks @Brash 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Glad to hear it worked.

And sorry I originally replied to this quickly on a coffee break but I should probably explain why this is occurring.

A native vlan on a switchport tells the switch to treat any untagged frame coming into that port as the configured native vlan. And for any frames the switch receives destined for that port and tagged with that native vlan,  it will strip the vlan tag off frames before putting them on the wire.

In this functionality, it's very similar to how an access port works.

Because you set the management vlan in the Meraki dashboard, the AP is sending out management frames already tagged with that vlan and is expecting to receive frames tagged with that vlan.

In your circumstance, because of the native vlan config on the port, the Meraki AP would have been receiving untagged management frames.

Thanks again - appreciate you coming back for a deeper explanation. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels