MR42e local page Access via wired

Mamba123
Getting noticed

MR42e local page Access via wired

Hi Guys,

I have a question.

Can you access an MR local page via cable?

I know that Meraki says that you should access the local page via WLAN.

The problem is, I have a new network with 20 APs, I have not yet configured SSIDs and first wanted to assign a static IP to each AP. How can you do that if the SSID and WLAN are not yet set up?

I configured two ports in a VLAN on a switch and wanted to access AP by cable, unfortunately it doesn't work.

is it really the case that the local page can only be accessed via WLAN?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi  @Mamba123 

You can connect locally to each device/AP and statically assign IP's.  Please see below link

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Static_IP_Assignment_on_a_Cisco_Meraki_...

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, it's not what I asked. I also read this solution.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Mamba123  apologies if I've mis-read.  So what is it you're trying to acheive?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

and where is it there?

Hi UCcert

I try the following. I am trying to assign the AP a fixed IP via local page. Just like the MS or MX.

And that is not possible. Because the Meraki page says that the local page can only be accessed via WLAN / SSID.

My question, is it also possible without WiFi?

CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I've updated the documentation to make it more clear. The local status page can be accessed by IP after enabling Remote device status pages on the Network-wide > General page. This allows you to connect to the local status page of the MS or MR even when not directly connected to the device. You'll then be able to browse to http://[device's LAN IP].

If the device has an IP but isn't checking in then this method will not work because this option is off by default. If the device has already checked in, then you can set a static IP directly from dashboard for that device without having to go to the local status page. 

Mamba123
Getting noticed

Hi CN:

I think, you misunderstood me.

The question was whether I can reach the local page without WiFi and before I add AP to the dashboard.

Or do I have to connect to the AP in any case via WLAN.

Second, your link says:

If a Meraki Access Point does not have a configuration from the Meraki Cloud Controller it will instead broadcast a default SSID of "Meraki Scanning." The AP takes an address of 10.128.128.128, the SSID runs DHCP, and it will try to assign any clients that associate with it an address. This is merely to provide connection between a client and the AP to allow for local configuration.

The problem is that I don't see this Meraki SSID.

CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Yep, I think that's the part that we were all missing, that the APs had not yet been added to dashboard. With that in mind, the answer is no. You're not able to access the local status page via a wired connection. However, having the devices powered up without being added to the dashboard or any network connectivity, the MR should ideally broadcast a default SSID that will have Meraki in the name. It could be Meraki scanning, Meraki bad gateway, or Meraki setup. Are you able to see anything with Meraki in the name? 

Once you connect to that you'll be able to connect to the local status page over wifi. When you are deploying these in an area with no DHCP, I would recommend powering on all of the APs while they are in the same room. Use the method that I mentioned, to assign the static IP to one or two. Then give the others some time. They might all just check into dashboard by becoming repeaters of the APs you configured manually. Often this method can be a bit difficult and frustrating, it is generally much easier to get them online with DHCP. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels