MR42 with high ping / long mesh APs

SOLVED
Autumn
Getting noticed

MR42 with high ping / long mesh APs

I have an MR42 that constantly shows high latency even after rebooting the AP and power cycling the port. Cable test shows no issues. Channel config is set to auto.

7.2.HW latency2.PNG

But when I ping it, to the AP and from the AP to the internet, there's normal latency:

7.2.HW latency1.PNG

It also shows it meshing with nearby APs but the distance shown is way too high:

7.2.HW.PNG

So if the ping shows low latency, why is the latency to the clients so poor? It's a big place with few neighbors whose signals could interfere and the other APs nearby don't seem to have an issue. (bldg 7 and 1 are connected so it should be connecting to both)

Firmware 26.2

Haven't tried replacing it yet, quite a drive and want to see what the forum knows about it. Glitch or time to replace this AP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cta102
Building a reputation

I'm wondering what the AP is forming a mesh relationship with.

I have on occasion seen Meraki devices from other networks attempting to form a mesh relationship, so it may be worth having a look at whats been going on.

It's also worth having a look in the Wireless Spectrum Tab and seeing what is listed in the Interfering APs list, particularly any APs shown as being one channel above or below (memory says you are on 6 so anything on 5 or 7) would cause a really noticeable hit 

Also what us the minimum permitted bitrate you have defined as 802.1b isn't so much legacy as historical.

A channel difference of one and 802.11b combined can create some really unpleasant Wi-Fi situations.

It's also worth laving a look at the spectrum view to see if something in the area is obliterating the 2.4GHz frequencies and it's fairly noticeable on the 'waterfall ' graph.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It could be the clients are quite some distance from the AP and the signal is not so good.  Your link quality is poor, so you may have interference in that band.

I see you are using 2.4Ghz.  This band always causes problems.  Can you disable it and only use 5Ghz?

Unfortunately, we can't disable 2.4Ghz at the moment, it's a club in a senior community and they do use legacy devices.

Have you ever had any success manually setting the channels or does the auto channel usually do the job better?

Thanks for your input!

cta102
Building a reputation

I'm wondering what the AP is forming a mesh relationship with.

I have on occasion seen Meraki devices from other networks attempting to form a mesh relationship, so it may be worth having a look at whats been going on.

It's also worth having a look in the Wireless Spectrum Tab and seeing what is listed in the Interfering APs list, particularly any APs shown as being one channel above or below (memory says you are on 6 so anything on 5 or 7) would cause a really noticeable hit 

Also what us the minimum permitted bitrate you have defined as 802.1b isn't so much legacy as historical.

A channel difference of one and 802.11b combined can create some really unpleasant Wi-Fi situations.

It's also worth laving a look at the spectrum view to see if something in the area is obliterating the 2.4GHz frequencies and it's fairly noticeable on the 'waterfall ' graph.

Autumn
Getting noticed

The 2.4Ghz is on channel 1 and, after checking, there is a lot of interference there.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, Now I've got something to work with.

~Autumn

cta102
Building a reputation

No problem and I hope the suggestion helps.

Thankfully Meraki give you something to work with, until I got an Ekahau course I had to work with homebrew USB digital TV dongles (or an Icom R20 scanner plugged into a laptop) to see what was happening across the wireless spectrum.

Meraki give you a fighting chance to work things out

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels