MR 44 showing difference Power usage

Ruch_D
Comes here often

MR 44 showing difference Power usage

Hi,

We have deployed MR 44 Access points on two floors. 1st floor has 8 MR 44 APs and 2nd floor has 7 MR44 APs. Connected to two separate switches. 

however, in the switching power inline summary, shows that 1st-floor APs are consuming 25.5W power out of 30W. however 2ns floor APs are consuming 30W power.

What could be the reason for consuming different power levels for the same AP configuration? Would connected user count make any difference?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Usage plays certainly an important role here. Although an AP doesn't do into sleep as a client does, when there is nothing to transmit, the power consumption has to be lower than with an active transmission. Same is for the usage of the radio chains. When the AP only sends beacons to advertise its existence less power has to be consumed compared to a 4 SS transmission where all radio chains are active and the DSP has to calculate a lot.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Actual power consumption may vary depending on the AP usage. That is, it will be larger or smaller depending on the use of it.

alemabrahao_0-1675082891069.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What types are the two switches?

Ruch_D
Comes here often

Hi, 

Both are cisco catalyst 2960L type switches with total power budget of 370W

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe it depends on the switch or firmware what it reports. You can see the current poe usage pressing a AP on the meraki dashboard. I doubt  they are all using 30W

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Guys, It's normal. Actual power consumption may vary depending on the AP usage. That is, it will be larger or smaller depending on the use of it.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels