Jabber cannot send files

Gustavo
Here to help

Jabber cannot send files

Hi all!

I'm facing a problem when I try to send files or print screens using cisco Jabber.

The main problem is: If I'm connected in Meraki WIreless and try to send a file to other user in a different network, that not works. But if both are connected in Meraki's network it works well.

The firewall rules are configured to enable all traffic between both networks.

Anyone faced this problem, or have any idea to solve it?

I really apreciate.

9 REPLIES 9
hoempf
Getting noticed

Hi Gustavo

That sounds like you would need "managed file transfer" on your IM&P server:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/10_5_2/CUP0_BK...

I don't exactly know how Jabber detects a "peer" in a peer-to-peer file transfer, but somehow in your case it doesn't seem to, which would then fall back to managed file transfer. But I'm guessing a bit here 🙂

It would be helpful if you could explain your topology, like which subnets you have, how they are connected and how you configured your WLAN. Also please try to include a diagram to explain your setup (Dashboard -> Network Wide -> Topology)

Cheers!

Hello @hoempf

I don't think so, it works pretty well in our other cisco wirelles controller soluction.

THe problem occurs only when we're connected in meraki network.

I know nothing about jabber but - if there is any peer to peer discovery involved, I'd try enabling bonjour forwarding to see if that was required.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hello @Uberseehandel,

I'll try this configuration, Is it necessary to add a forwarding rule specific for jabber or only enable the option?

@Gustavo wrote:

Hello @Uberseehandel,

I'll try this configuration, Is it necessary to add a forwarding rule specific for jabber or only enable the option?

There is lots in the documentation about this topic, but for starters see - 

Configuring Bonjour forwarding for the MX security device

also the below from other Meraki documentation - 

Common Problems
There are a few common problems that can arise when deploying NAT mode with Meraki DHCP to provide client addressing. These problems are outlined in detail below:

• Roaming - NAT mode with Meraki DHCP will use the IP address of the AP as the public IP address for wireless clients. When a client roams between APs with Meraki DHCP, TCP connections will drop and have to be re-established. This can cause problems with some applications and devices.
  • Bonjour and multicasting protocols - The client isolation features of Meraki DHCP will prevent wireless clients from communicating with each other. This will prevent Bonjour, layer 2 discovery protocols, and multicasting protocols from working. This can cause problems in networks that use Bonjour among wireless clients, or have IP phones or applications that require multicasting.
  • Inbound client connections - NAT mode with Meraki DHCP prevents inbound connections to a wireless client. This can cause problems if a wireless client needs to be accessible from a different network. . . . . A connection, such as a remote desktop session, from the wired client to wireless client A will fail. Other common examples include failed wireless LAN connections to Chromecast devices, AirPlay enabled devices, printers or projectors.

good luck.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
hoempf
Getting noticed

Hi Gustavo

There are a lot of reasons why this could happen and it would help if you could share a bit more about your configuration. Some of the reasons I could think of and you might want to check are:

• Did you configure the SSID in bridge mode or NAT mode? NAT mode might prevent the peer discovery of Jabber 2018-04-06 11_39_04-Access Control Configuration - Meraki Dashboard.png
  • If you configured bridge mode, did you make sure you didn't enable L2 isolation?

2018-04-06 11_41_20-Traffic Shaping - Meraki Dashboard.png

• Are there any firewall settings blocking the traffic you want to enable?
  • Do you have a splash page and the client didn't click through it (authorized client)?

Anyway, without further details on your setup it's super difficult to help you. Also a screen shot from CUCM where we can see the two Jabbers registered would be helpful to understand the setup.

You could also export a tech-support file with Jabber problem reporting (settings -> help -> report a problem) and skim through the logs and look for errors.

Cheers!

Hello @hoempf

- The SSID is configured in bridge mode

- L2 isolation is disabled

- We have a firewall between meraki and jabber servers, but we configured a rule to accept all the trafic between the networks.

- No splash page configured.

- Unfortunely, I don't have access to CUCM.

hoempf
Getting noticed

@Gustavo Are those two Jabber clients on the same VLAN / subnet or are they in different subnets each?

If they are on the same subnet, and according to your configuration I see no reason why it would just block file transfer of Jabber clients and maybe it's best to call Meraki support and do some packet captures to see what they are exchanging during a file transfer attempt. According to my experience try to send them as much information as possible and a diagram of your setup (really, do it 😉 ) and chances are much higher they can help you quickly.

@hoempf They're in the same subnet (192.168.35.0/24)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels