Issues with Verifone PDQ machines with SSID connection

TimGowen
Conversationalist

Issues with Verifone PDQ machines with SSID connection

Hello

I have an unusual issue with credit card machines which are configured for a specific SSID on our Meraki network. In some locations they will connect to the SSID and pass a diagnostic which pings the router and the DNS Servers. But some Access Points, although they accept SSID join they do not get onto the network.wifi issue.png

I can take the machine to a different location, join the network and then return the machine to its normal location and it works.

This only seems to affect the specific SSID we have for this purpose, but I am confused because apparently the APs are the same without any issues and the network doesn't have any obvious problems. I can use an iPhone and connect to the SSID without any issue.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TimGowen we had loads of problems with card payment terminals in the past.  Things we found that helped:

Make the SSID single band, not 2.4+5

Disable 802.11r, band steering and bonjour forwarding

Increase minimum bit rate to 12Mbps

If the payment terminals see each AP as a separate network then use tags to only advertise the SSID on the AP nearest the terminals, if they do this and need to roam around get the provider to supply newer terminals as this has been fixed in later hardware.

TimGowen
Conversationalist

Thanks for this cmr! The settings are 802.11w Disabled

Layer 3 Roaming

Bonjour is disabled...

I have created a profile and assigned it to the AP we'd prefer it to use. Currently since I am having to take it to a different building to join the network properly it's a bit weird.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TimGowen is there a reason you are using layer3 roaming and not bridged mode?  It is only intended to be used where you need one SSID to have multiple subnets underneath it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels