I would LOVE to delete SSIDs

Asavoy
Building a reputation

I would LOVE to delete SSIDs

I inherited a network with 15 SSIDs and cannot figure out a way to delete them.

I use 2.

Anybody know how to delete them?

20 REPLIES 20
s4mmy
Here to help

YES!!! Sometimes it would be nice to be able to delete one if its not longer used.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You've disabled the unused ones?

... 50 chars...
Asavoy
Building a reputation

Well, duh, of course I did.  Everybody- and their mother, god willing- knows that a Meraki MR34 cannot handle more than 3 SSIDs broadcasting.

I still want to delete all the fluff, because I'm a little OCD and would really like to have a clean house.  Those characters do still take up memory space. 

Bits and bytes and all that jazz.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I would also like a "Reset to factory defaults" option for an unused SSID.

+1 here. Yes, I would also like a Reset to factory defaults for an unused SSID.

randhall
Getting noticed

+1

Seriously, I hate not being able to delete unused SSIDs. You'd think that'd be a given.
SCOTT_FORREST
Conversationalist

+1 I too would like an option to delete an SSID (by that meaning to set it to default settings and name, and have it disabled).

+1

farfigneugan
New here

I have decided to just completely remove then rebuild the network to get rid of the unwanted SSIDs, instead of just disabling them.
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If you rename the SSID to the original SSID name/number it used to have, and disable it, then it won't show up unless you click the 'show all my SSIDs' button.

Unconfigured SSID 1

Just have to get the number correct, left to right is 1 through 15

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Asavoy
Building a reputation

Not the same as deleting them.  Not many of us need placeholders for 15 SSIDs.  The darn things don't even work properly with 3 or more SSIDs active.  SMH.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@Asavoy

I'm with you on wanting the ability to delete them to clean things up. That is why I mentioned the renaming because it will at least hide them.

I'm not sure what you mean about it won't work properly with 3 or more SSID's. Are you running into a bug?
TwitterLinkedIn
Asavoy
Building a reputation

@NolanHerring It's not a bug, it's a planned thing. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Multi-SSID_Deployment_Considerati...

The district I work for had just revamped their whole network and the guy I replaced left all the old SSIDs on.  Something like 5-7 SSIDs were active when I accidentally discovered this document.

Meraki has really not impressed me.  They make a one-size-fits-all firmware solution for a multitude of products, and invariably each 'latest greatest' version break some functionality or other.  Like, 2.4Ghz band only getting 3-10Mbps throughput.  SMH harder.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@Asavoy

Sorry I probably misunderstood. I thought you were saying that Meraki as a vendor couldn't handle more than 3 SSID's. They can, but what your referencing isn't them saying you can't. It's them saying you shouldn't, which are two different things.

You COULD use all 15 SSIDs, but best bet is your wireless will start to suck.

SSID overhead can become a problem when you start to go over like 5 SSID's, which is why we recommend 4 or even better 3, or ever more betterer less lol. Each SSID will send a beacon, that beacon consumes airtime. The more you have, the more management overhead you have.

That applies to the 802.11 protocol, not any specific vendor. Same rules apply even if you have Cisco/Aruba etc.

To visually see what I'm referencing, see some of the links below.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html
http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2013/08/its-well-known-rule-of-thumb-when.html

As for the firmware versions for each product train, I feel you trust me. However to be fair, any vendor will have bugs in their code. Cisco specifically over the last year or two has been pretty bad at doing any QA before releasing code versions for their WLCs. No vendor is perfect =(

Also, the 2.4GHz band your talking about only getting 3-10Mbps. That is going to be 100% on the environment, possibly configuration but doubtful since you sound like you know what your doing.

I can max out my Meraki 2.4GHz radio no issues. But I have had an office in a big city that gets less than 2Mbps on 2.4GHz. Had this with Cisco, had the same with Meraki. Not Meraki's fault that the wireless in that specific environment is terrible with interference, other neighbors. Its a giant mess, which is why I do my best to get away from 2.4GHz when I can. Just too crowded sometimes. I force any production SSID to 5GHz only when I can.

For your 2.4 issue I would do some spectrum analysis, how many other networks do you have in the environment. What kind of interference is causing the problem. Is it CCI/ACI, wireless, non-wireless etc.

TwitterLinkedIn
Asavoy
Building a reputation

@NolanHerring The 2.4Ghz issue is only present, for me, on my MR34 devices which is 3 of my 4 schools.  The other one has a mix of MR42 and MR52.  I did a lot of testing with Meraki over the summer with all 3 models in the same rooom and on the same cable.  The MR42 actually had a 10Mbps higher throughput than the MR34 and MR52 on a single line.

They had given me a beta firmware that solved the throughput issue but unfortunately introduced an issue where the WPA2 protected SSID would not allow my DHCP to give out addresses, but the open SSID using Meraki DHCP would be fine.  Only a reboot would fix that.  It was random, and I'm not sure they've solved the issue yet.  They got a ton of data from me on that.

I don't really know what I'm doing, thanks though.  I just troubleshoot and solve problems extremely well, and I know how things work.  It's a gift I have with tech.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@Asavoy

Ah ok well that sucks. Sorry your having trouble that is indeed firmware related based on what your saying. If you could, I would say maybe try to get the last train of the 24.X code on the MR34's (you'd have to have support do this now as I don't think its available anymore, and they might even say no actually. Not sure). When I moved my super old MR16 and MR18 to 25.X they started having big issues, rebooting randomly etc. I'm lucky enough that I phased them out with new MR33 but not everyone has that luxury.
TwitterLinkedIn
Asavoy
Building a reputation

@NolanHerring They did downgrade me to 24.12 after a strongly worded email to them in the case I had opened.

However, the automated system is trying to force me into 25.13

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yea that 'force to upgrade' thing I'm not a fan of. Now your forced to push it out 30 days, and then set a calendar reminder 5 days before, to push it out another 30 days. Over and over. They should send an email that states they recommend we upgrade, not actually force it. Grrr
TwitterLinkedIn
BWMerlin
Conversationalist

I really cannot believe that such a simple feature as deleting an SSID isn't possible.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels