Humor - So, bored WFH? What funny SSIDs have you recently created?

JohnGeorge
Here to help

Humor - So, bored WFH? What funny SSIDs have you recently created?

So complying with the mandatory "stay put" that the Gov. in Michigan has issued during the Zombie Apocalypse, have you played around with your Meraki Lab and came up with some "creative" WiFi names?

So far.... (top 5)

1. Please reboot.

2. Connecting...

3. Loading...

4. Unable to connect to the Internet.

5. Enter your username

Sorry, going stir crazy over here.

If humour is not required, you can skip Window 1 and continue on your way.

Please remember, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

JG

25 REPLIES 25
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not one I created but on my daily commute (remember those days?) someone on the train had a hotspot called:

This is not the WiFi you are looking for

I rather liked that one 😀

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

My SSID at home is "Meraki so Fly"

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have multiple at home, one for me and the wife and one for each child.  Each one is a different womble.  The timed SSID availability feature comes in very useful 😎

route_map
Building a reputation

decided to share my wifi with my neighbors and named it 免费WiFi

it means free wifi, but no one has connected yet 😞 

Stay safe people from South Africa

I used to have one of mine set to: GCHQ Mobile Monitoring Station

Now, my private SSID is 2 fly for wifi and my public/guest wifi is set to my wifi is better than yours

Here are a few ideas:

iFiW rorriM

87 105 70 105 -> ASCII for WiFi

SayNoToTwistedPair

PrettyFlyForAWiFi

SongCloud
Conversationalist

My mobile hotspot wifi SSID has always been named either "CIA Surveillance Van" or "NSA Tracking Station".  Always funny when I turn it on and see a few people in the area who are scanning for signals who do a quick look around. 

I changed my home lab SSID to "Umbrella Corporation Secure WiFI" and my guest is "Racoon City Public Wifi" as an homage during this Zombie outbreak.  😉

Terry_Sawchuk
Here to help

inSSIDious

Schweddy Balls

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

My three SSIDs here at home are;
1) Global Digital Defense Network
2) Winona Router
3) Krusty Krab
LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
Kasper
Here to help

i've been playing with emojis in SSIDs. Fun until there are legacy devices that don't support emojis.

colinster
Getting noticed

“Help I’m stuck inside the WiFi!“

I’ve started experimenting with multiple SSID jokes:
#### what’s the difference
### between a snow man
## and a snow woman?
# snowballs!
Colin Lowenberg
wireless engineer and startup founder, formerly known as "the API guy", now I run a Furapi, the therapy dog service, and Lowenberg Labs, an IT consulting company.

Have to admin loved that one! Help I am stuck...might have to use it.

Or for the kids devices:  BadForYouBrain

Wayner
Getting noticed

I have used

Police surveillance van #3

MyWiFi

Not for you

Not the wireless you are looking for

Mark_Ostler1526
Conversationalist

I once had a guest wifi SSID as

#MyWifeHasAnAwesomeRack# 

just to see who would try and connect to it.

Bikebird
Conversationalist

My daughter and her roommates use:

GirlsGoneWireless

KillingTrees -- Printer VLAN

CreepyCrawlies -- Guest VLAN 

AntiVirusRecomended -- Guest VLAN

42 -- Production VLAN

TARDIS -- Production (It's bigger on the inside)

CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

An important thing to keep in mind is that most non-ASCII characters are valid as well. If it's not compatible the SSID page won't save (unfortunately 🦠is one such character). The longest SSID that you can configure is 32 bytes which means you're limited in the number of emojis you can use. This calculator will tell you how many bytes you're using. # is an easy way to force the SSID to the top of the list. 

Even though this is just for fun, be sure to lock down the SSID with a gibberish pre-shared key (that you don't share). 

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 11.07.09 PM.png

QLSteve
Getting noticed

Never ceases to amaze me what you can learn here!

Wayner
Getting noticed

I never knew you could use them

I need to try it

I liked mine but now, after reading the above, they were not all that imaginative.  

Our family's (not mine) past military service didn't include the US Navy but I chose ship names from before they started naming them after politicians.  Private SSIDs for IOT or other internal uses were named after historic naval bases.

USS Hornet

USS Essex

USS Enterprise

NAS Argentia

NS Sangley Point

Currently everything has been renamed to random character strings.  Surprisingly I seem to get a lot fewer attacks/penetration tests since doing that... I guess the names were an attractant or the wannabee hackers were misguided Star Trek fans. 

GeorgeFrendl
Getting noticed

Addressing the neighbour: "Your dog is barking again!"

I should use that one for the yapping dog in the house behind us. Doesn't stop barking all day.

Yeah, obviously I tried to talk to them first, they made a bunch of promises that they did not fully deliver. They are moving out soon... fingers crossed.

Stuggi
Conversationalist

I've been quite behaved recently, but in my younger days I had a bit of a hobby of reading the newspaper and seeing if I could find anything that could be used as material for WiFi naming. Say evil mega-corporation was in the papers, I'd add an SSID "EvilMegaCorp Guest" or something. It usually took around 3 days before my neighbours in the apartment complex started talking about how EvilMegaCorp had plans for opening an office in the neighbourhood. 

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@Stuggi wrote:

I've been quite behaved recently, but in my younger days I had a bit of a hobby of reading the newspaper and seeing if I could find anything that could be used as material for WiFi naming. Say evil mega-corporation was in the papers, I'd add an SSID "EvilMegaCorp Guest" or something. It usually took around 3 days before my neighbours in the apartment complex started talking about how EvilMegaCorp had plans for opening an office in the neighbourhood. 

Haha that's awesome!

I actually recently created a new SSID:

BrechtSchamp_0-1588228825187.png

It basically translates to "#StayAtHome😷"

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels