How to monitor a video stream with bandwidth usage for Google Nest Cam with HomeKit ?

nscheffer
Getting noticed

How to monitor a video stream with bandwidth usage for Google Nest Cam with HomeKit ?

Hi,

I got a full Meraki infrastructure with 2x Internet Fiber Access (Symmetrical 1GB/s) -> MX68 -> MX220-24P -> 5x MR52 and 1x MR84
I am using 6x Google Nest Cam IQ (Outdoor and Indoor) with the Starling Home Hub to inject my Google Nest devices into Apple HomeKit.

I got a problem with the Nest Cam video stream on HomeKit, I need to troubleshoot and analyse the bandwidth usage with the original Google Nest App, when using a browser and also when it's converted on Apple HomeKit.

How to do a such measurement with my Meraki infrastructure ?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you monitor the device with the app and the device using the web browser?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you look at client usage you can see how much data has been transferred over the selected period, the shortest of which is two hours.

Therefore if you suspect a difference, connect the camera one way for 2-3 hours and then look at the usage, then connect the other way for 2-3 hours and compare.

I'd stream for three hours as the dashboard is a bit delayed in its reporting.

nscheffer
Getting noticed

Yes it could be a solution but ideally I try to retrieve the following :
- orignal stream from my camera to Nest how much bandwidth like 2mb/s
- stream from Nest to my device (web browser or native app) maybe less than 2mb/s
- stream converted on the Starling Home Hub to my divide using Apple HomeKit maybe less than 2mb/s ???

The goal is to see where is the drop in bandwidth.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I found the connected switchport to also be a good indicator of traffic.
You'd of course need to only have the source connected to said switchport to reliably see the in and output.

Yes I can do both !
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels