How to block Windows Update

Prashan
Getting noticed

How to block Windows Update

Hi Team,

How can we block windows update from Meraki ? I'm using M42 access point. I want to block Windows update

7 REPLIES 7
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Prashan 

I understand L7 Firewall rules should help you to achieve this.

On the dashboard go the following option and Deny the Category.

Wireless > Firewall & traffic shaping > Select the desired "SSID" > Block applications and content categories - Layer 7 firewall rules > Software and anti-virus updates

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Thank you @AjitKumar

So is it included in Software updates, i thought OS updates not included in software updates?

Do you have any idea What software updates included in Software updates category ?
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Prashan 

I am not aware of any document or information except the following content, stating the "List of Software's" included in this Category.

"The Cisco Meraki cloud-based application signature database is constantly updated to identify new and changing applications, without requiring the administrator to download and install software updates. The Cisco Meraki cloud-based architecture continually learns based on activity from Cisco Meraki's thousands of customers and millions of users, increasing the accuracy and precision of application fingerprints."

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Can we restrict Apples Updates and Android updates

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Prashan 

Is the L7 Rule not working?

If not you may block the host name. Check the following url for iOS.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Other_Topics/Blocking_or_rate_limiting_iOS_...

For Android I believe above will be challenge as they have various sources. I believe Cisco Meraki EMM may help you on this provided you "OWN" the devices.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

app store is cannot access, but playstore is can access at the moment

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels