How does everyone feel on lack of MAC based access control

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How does everyone feel on lack of MAC based access control

I am reviewing our wifi this year and every vendor I've looked at apart from Meraki has some form of L2 access control i.e. allowing only specific MAC or blocking specific MAC. This is a feature on top of normal authentication i.e. WPA2 or 802.1x

I know MAC can be easily spoofed but the avg Joe doesn't even know what a MAC address is. I feel like this is another tool that can be used to help keep networks secure so why is that not a thing on Meraki

Am I alone or would anyone else find this feature useful?  

4 REPLIES 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For me, it's not an absolute must but definitely a feature that would be nice to have.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

There is this method https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Splash_Page/Using_a_Sign-on_Splash_Page_to_Restrict_Wireless_...

I’ve never used it or had a use case though. Is there more than this you are thinking of?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would not consider it useful, but that shouldn't be relevant for your use cases ... 😉

Why do I think that it is useless? Every system that works based on MAC-addresses is a kind of PITA to maintain. I would put all that effort into the implementation of a solid .1X solution.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I feel like the whole product line is missing so many basic features... The MX being the worst in that category.

But indeed , that feature would be relevant in some cases.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels