Highest AP → client latency by client device type - iphones...

wendallwoof
Conversationalist

Highest AP → client latency by client device type - iphones...

Hi all,

All my AP's are in a pretty healthy state but one thing I am seeing is that ios devices are considerably more latent vs any other device. For example my windows 10 clients are < 10 ms on average whereas my apple/ios devices are averaging around 50ms.

I'm referring to the health tab for 

Highest AP → client latency by client device type

Is this something to do with the way in which an iphones wireless nic behaves in relation to its power management i.e to save power it put's its nic to sleep for intervals then checks again for frames/beacons etc?

i'm just wondering why this is happening across all sites. Windows devices are all significantly lower latency on average, all under 10ms. Band steering is enabled so nearly all devices are on 5GHz, 40MHz channels and currently as offices are empty, we're not experiencing any rf issues or load issues.

Also how does this iphone latency effect the performance for all the other clients connected to the AP?

Am I right in saying, that for real time media if we have an iphone connected that is high latency that this will effect the user experience as it will hog the airspace for a longer period of time before the next client can talk. (we're running wifi5 AP's so single mu-mumo upstream).

I'm looking to see if there's any relevance with that latency value in terms of performance, specifically real time media - assuming near perfect RF conditions .

Is there something 

1 REPLY 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is this something to do with the way in which an iphones wireless nic behaves in relation to its power management

I don't know the answer - but this is highly likely to be it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels